13th Amendment U.S. Constitution [1865]

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by alan c., Sep 8, 2002.

1. Section 1 -- Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

I work with a guy who is going to college to earn his degree in social work. I was asked what I thought about this statement. This is still on the books. I am not sure. Doglips I know you are familiar with this field. All opinions are appreciated. Or Facts.:confused:

2. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

AlanC:

That amendment is plainly written. Slavery, or any form of forced servitude, is illegal unless a person is legally sentenced to serve time. Then it's legal for the court system to force someone to be inprisoned.

In most prisons doing work is considered a privilege. It's not forced labor. The alternative is to live in a 5 x 9 cell.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2002

3. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 Guest

You ben there Oxford? :D

4. Oxford I wasn't sure if prison life and slavery was the same thing. In the old testament a person who commited a crime against another individual could become a servant to that person until the debt was payed. So what we are saying is that slavery is alive and well and legal.

5. Mark do you have a clue?????????

6. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 Guest

I'm just jokeing Oxford.