14.5 AR-15 Rifle Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'AR15' started by MosinRuger, Jul 29, 2020.

1. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    Dutch and ChaZam like this.
  2. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

You're gonna have to use some actual man muscle to knock the retaining pin out of the default A2 gas block. It can be (and almost always is) a bit of a pain... you are going to have to really hammer it out of there with more force than you probably think you ought to use.

If you don't have one I would recommend you get one of those polymer AR15 armorer's jigs to lay the gas block assembly into so you can keep everything straight while you knock out the gas block pin with a punch and mallet.

Like this , this one is $38 but you might be able to find a cheaper one elsewhere.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-.../ar-15-front-sight-bench-block-prod20727.aspx

Its a pain in the butt enough as is trying to keep the whole upper receiver straight while you knock out the pin to remove the gas block and the jig helps a lot with keeping the whole thing level. You still need something at the other end to support the rest of the receiver too.

3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    jtuck and MosinRuger like this.
  4. ChaZam

BigEd63 and MosinRuger like this.
  5. MosinRuger

Colorado
    thanks for the tips, Im already looking into those front sight blocks.

I've got a good sized hammer and am pretty resourceful, so im fairly confident i can get the old on off.

also looking at getting an upper receiver vice block as well.

even with those parts/equipment im still going to be coming in way cheaper than buying a new barrel or upper. and i get to have some fun along the way!

i've already ordered a 12.5" alum hg. and a low profile screw pin type gas block, not sure about the gas block, but since i was paying for shipping already i went ahead and threw it in the cart. I might end up going with a clamp on style as ive read that they are better for a few reasons.

any comments on gas block type screw on vs clamp on?

TXplt and ChaZam like this.
  6. ChaZam

Just my 2 cents, but I prefer those that are attached by the tiny allen head set screws that tighten into two dimples on the underside of the barrel. If those dimples are accurately located in relation to the gas port there will never be a problem of misalignment and partially covering the gas port. That little jig I linked in post #23 will allow you to precisely locate and drill those dimples that your barrel will almost certainly not have since it has the pinned on front sight. PS: Those pins are tapered and can only be driven out from one direction.

TXplt, jerry, jtuck and 2 others like this.
  7. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    Yes. Knock out the pins and remove the FSB. Put on your new gas block and either screw it down or pin it in. It goes pretty much exactly how you think it will.

MosinRuger likes this.
  8. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    Retracted my comment here. The A2 pins can be a real pain in the butt...

ChaZam likes this.
  9. MosinRuger

Colorado
    well, we'll see how it goes. the fsb has been removed and replaced once already to get the current handguard on there. of course that was like 8 years ago, so im sure its pretty well stuck on there. but im confident i can handle it. if not, well, i guess ill take it to a smith then and just have them do it for me.

TXplt and ChaZam like this.
  10. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    You’ll get it. My original post was suggesting you probably don’t need a block or vice to remove the FSB. But, if those pins are stuck it would be helpful. They’ll move though, no doubt.

TXplt and MosinRuger like this.
  11. jtuck

jtuck G&G Evangelist

I don't have much to add that hasn't been stated already, but it sounds like you've taken all the advice to heart and are on your way to an end product that might work for you. My $.02 is on the backpacking portion of your post:

I didn't see if you were taking a rifle with you to hunt, plink, or for protection. I won't get into caliber selection or anything like that, but one consideration is whether you are going to carry your rifle inside or outside of your backpack. If you would like a lower-profile package that you can fit in a pack, I'd recommend the LAW Tactical folding stock adapter. They are very strong and durable and work well for reducing the overall length of your rifle. That way you could stow it in your pack, out of sight, when you didn't need it. I have a 10.5" rifle with the folding stock adapter and the whole thing folds up to less than 21". I can slide it into almost any normal sized backpack.

On the topic of LPVO's, I bought a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x almost two years ago and love it. I use it more for a truck gun, shooting coyotes on the farm, type thing than CQB, but it has worked well for me. I have shot a couple coyotes out to 200 yards with it. I haven't put this particular optic through any carbine classes or intense training sessions but I have played around with it a little running failure drills, 1-5 drills, etc. and it's pretty easy to find the reticle, especially with the illumination turned up a little. I'm still not sure if I would trade it for my Eotech or Aimpoint on a duty rifle, but that might change with some more time spent behind it.

Can't wait to see your finished product!

12. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I have this (BCM) I really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

TXplt likes this.
  13. MosinRuger

Colorado
    I think you guys shave seen it but here is a link to the build thread i created for the upgrades on the 16" upper.

https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/a-few-changes-to-my-16-carbine.209138/

I really like how it turned out!

now i feel like i have a good balance with the 10.5" pistol for close range( its really a 0-50 gun it can shoot farther but its really ideal at or under 100) and the 16" carbine for anything 50-400 or so. i can shoot farther than that but neither it nor i are really setup or prepared for it. shooting steel targets with the rifle i can get consistent hits at 400, past that its a bit of a crap shoot, mostly because i cant tell where the **** bullets are going if i dont hear the ding.

IMG_20200817_232120.jpg

still deciding if i want to run irons on it. i have a set for the rifle in its carry case, but i like how it feels without them.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  14. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Ya....got the 1-6x and 1-8x strike eagle on different rifles (the 1-8x came along after the 1-6 and has a slightly different reticle). Vortex makes really good glass at a reasonable price. Their prism 1x Spitfire also works well.

The Strike Eagles are a bit heavy (lol just like the Mud Hen I used to fly compared to other fighters).

The EoTech has a fantastic reticle on it and for me serves a wholly different purpose; taking the hunting shots I do I'd prefer the SE and COULD and can use it in close; like you I'm not likely to switch one over the other and just use the dedicated rifles for the dedicated purposes.

But my karma always has me with the lesser choice equipment when I need it lol......kinda nice to know EITHER choice is a decent one.