Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I went ahead and ordered a new barrel, its a Ballistic advantage 14.5" 5.56 with mid length gas system.

I plan to either, just do a new upper to use on an existing rifle lower, OR, change my 10.5" 5.56 pistol ar into a rifle.

Im thinking the latter as i do not want to have to register my ar pistol as an SBR.

whichever way it ends up going im excited as i have wanted to do a 14.5" build for a while now.

oh yeah, the barrel was $88!!! normally $160, 40% off and then the seller did 12% off sitewide, so it brought it down to $88 buck i just couldnt pass that up!

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice. I personally never saw a desire for the shorter barrel, but whatever floats your boat. If I happened upon one, I would end up pinning a muzzle device onto it to avoid nfa rules.

yeah thats the plan to do a pinned 16" rifle.

i was going back and forth on an 18" barrel for my "DMR" build, or this one.

sad to say it, but part of what pushed me this direction was the threat of having to register my 10.5" pistol as an SBR.. i just dont want to do that.

swap barrels, put on a carbine buffer and stock.. viola, no nfa stuff.. and its only going to be a few inches longer as the 10.5" barrel has a 3" blast forwarding device on it. so i think its a win win. better velocity, no nfa rules..

·
Registered
Collector of Military guns and Model 70 Winchesters
185 Posts
The Pistol Brace rule Change by ATF is being challenged in court and we have a very strong Chance of beating the ATF on this and several other Items . If you remove the brace and just put a foam tube over the buffer tube , it is still going to be a pistol until the Courts hear the case and finish ruling , so just put the brace away if the rule does go into effect sometime in December. I personally would have just bought a 16" rifle barrel instead of a 14.5 and have to weld or Pin on a Muzzle device to make a Carbine with better ballistics , but thats me.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Pistol Brace rule Change by ATF is being challenged in court and we have a very strong Chance of beating the ATF on this and several other Items . If you remove the brace and just put a foam tube over the buffer tube , it is still going to be a pistol until the Courts hear the case and finish ruling , so just put the brace away if the rule does go into effect sometime in December. I personally would have just bought a 16" rifle barrel instead of a 14.5 and have to weld or Pin on a Muzzle device to make a Carbine with better ballistics , but thats me.

ive already got 2 16" rifles... ballistics are hardly different between 14.5" and 16".

however there is a significant improvement in velocity between 10.5" and 14.5" as thats nearly a 40% increase in barrel length.

ive gone back and forth on this for a looong time, finally decided i want to try it out.

for $88 why not..

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here you can see that actual tests done by changing Barrel length and 1.5 inches longer adss almost 200 fps Velocity.
223 Remington/ 5.56mm NATO barrel length and velocity: 26 inches to 6 inches

that is a bit misleading.

A. you rounded from 160 to 200.. quite an exxageration.

B. their chart shows 14" vs 16.5". that is 2.5" difference. not 14.5" vs 16" which is only 1.5" ; a significant difference. 2.5-1.5 =1" which is ~40% difference.

its common knowledge that 5.56/.223 looses about 25-50 fps /inch, depending on the barrel length. ( 1" off a 10" barrel has a larger effect that 1" off a 20" barrel.

look, i fully know that 14.5" isnt the "optimal" barrel length for ballistics with .223/5.56... but.. how many people own 24" rifles? not many.. everything is a compromise. the purpose of this barrel is not to fully optimize the velocity of 5.56.

anyways..from 14.5" to 16" is not that much of a difference.

PS: i really wonder why they did ALLLL the other barrel cuts at exactly 1", but then from 17" went to 16.5" and then from 16.5" to 14.... neither 16.5" nor 14" are common ar-15 barrel lengths.

not trying to be a jerk, but I also do kinda know what im dealing with.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I am one of those people that hates doing gov’t paperwork and jumping thru their hoops. And here all pistols are registered, so no real interest in ar pistols or sbrs. If I was looking for the absolute minimum in dimensionality for an ar, I would do a pinned 14.5 barrel, and one of those bare minimum stocks, basically a tube with a butt pad. With it in the shortest position it would effectively be a pistol, albeit it is legally a rifle. And short enough for maneuver in and out of doorways and the like. Folders don’t work for me in ar’s either, since they need to be folded out to use. I like simple.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a few AR's, 2 are registered as SBR's. I always hated the plastic or rubber pistol braces, then I saw a Mod 1 Tailhook.

Decided to make a 7.5" AR pistol...the lower is listed as a pistol on the 4473. If the ATF outlaws braces, I'll just stamp it and slap one of the extra AR stocks on it I have laying around.

It's a mostly useless AR, but I can take it out of state without filling a 5320.20. Makes a great truck gun.

·
Registered
Collector of Military guns and Model 70 Winchesters
185 Posts
For 1 thing I said ALMOST 200 FPS which on the M855 shows 184 FPS difference in 14" vs 16.5" but look at the other numbers as well. If you look at the Change ft/Sec velocity for the shorter Barrel Vs the slightly longer barrel there is a huge difference. Velocity Loss is energy Loss and shorter barrels Have a higher Flash with more unburned Powder at the Muzzle.
You can do whatever you want , I was just pointing out test data as I run 16", 18", and 20" barrels on my AR-15's to get the best Ballistics and accuracy and I can reload to different specs with slower or faster powders .
That's All.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For 1 thing I said ALMOST 200 FPS which on the M855 shows 184 FPS difference in 14" vs 16.5" but look at the other numbers as well. If you look at the Change ft/Sec velocity for the shorter Barrel Vs the slightly longer barrel there is a huge difference. Velocity Loss is energy Loss and shorter barrels Have a higher Flash with more unburned Powder at the Muzzle.
You can do whatever you want , I was just pointing out test data as I run 16", 18", and 20" barrels on my AR-15's to get the best Ballistics and accuracy and I can reload to different specs with slower or faster powders .
That's All.

thanks for pointing out what i already knew i guess... if you read my previous posts you would see that i already have several 16" rifles and a 10.5" pistol, so i kinda know a thing or 2 about barrel length and the trade offs between them.

the main thing that irked me is the data you referenced uses 14" and 16.5".. which is irrelevant when were talking 14.5" vs 16" and asinine for them to do. virtually no -one uses 14" or 16.5" inch ar-15 barrels.

i think that 14.5" is a good balance of short length and "decent" velocity. its surely better velocity than the 10.5" its replacing. its all about context and relativity.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
thanks for pointing out what i already knew i guess... if you read my previous posts you would see that i already have several 16" rifles and a 10.5" pistol, so i kinda know a thing or 2 about barrel length and the trade offs between them.

the main thing that irked me is the data you referenced uses 14" and 16.5".. which is irrelevant when were talking 14.5" vs 16" and asinine for them to do. virtually no -one uses 14" or 16.5" inch ar-15 barrels.

i think that 14.5" is a good balance of short length and "decent" velocity. its surely better velocity than the 10.5" its replacing. its all about context and relativity.
You have to wonder, is the chart written wrong? Seeing as how 14.5 and 16" are both quite common, being standard issue for military and civvi carbines?

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now im trying to figure out exactly what im going to do with this barrel. I have about 4 different ideas floating around!

going to a LGS saturday to see what parts they have, id like to pick up a carbine buffer tube, new grip, and a few other little bits that i need.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright well it showed up today!

really like the feel of this barrel, feels light and handy!

so i decided what im going to do.. i think lol.

just waiting on a few more parts and itll be ready to go!

yes im going to piw and weld the muzzle device to 16"+ before assembling.

the plan is to essentially cannabalize parts from one of my ar pistols to make a new rifle, this s going to be my go to gun so im going to take some of the best parts i have to put it together.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Computer Input device Office equipment Peripheral Space bar

that's a YHM 5C1 phantom flash comp, essentially like an enhanced a2, brings it to like 16.2"

compared to the 7.5" .300 blk upper above it. that barrel is coming off that upper and going onto another build in the future.. gotta shuffle some things around to do this one. for some reason ive become really enamored with a GP rifle build based off this Ballistic advantage 14.5" barrel pinned to 16".

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright so I got the muzzle device dilled out for the pin, ill be making the pin out of a spare 1/16 drill bit. just need to either figure out what sort of solder i can use, or find someone to weld it.

Got the gas system sorted out.. just waiting on the barrel nut and handguard and a few other pieces (6 pos carbine buffer tube and forward assist) but this thing is heading quickly towards completed!

Peripheral Input device Space bar Computer Office equipment

Audio equipment Gas Tints and shades Cable Bumper

·
Registered
87 Posts
that is a bit misleading.

A. you rounded from 160 to 200.. quite an exxageration.

B. their chart shows 14" vs 16.5". that is 2.5" difference. not 14.5" vs 16" which is only 1.5" ; a significant difference. 2.5-1.5 =1" which is ~40% difference.

its common knowledge that 5.56/.223 looses about 25-50 fps /inch, depending on the barrel length. ( 1" off a 10" barrel has a larger effect that 1" off a 20" barrel.

look, i fully know that 14.5" isnt the "optimal" barrel length for ballistics with .223/5.56... but.. how many people own 24" rifles? not many.. everything is a compromise. the purpose of this barrel is not to fully optimize the velocity of 5.56.

anyways..from 14.5" to 16" is not that much of a difference.

PS: i really wonder why they did ALLLL the other barrel cuts at exactly 1", but then from 17" went to 16.5" and then from 16.5" to 14.... neither 16.5" nor 14" are common ar-15 barrel lengths.

not trying to be a jerk, but I also do kinda know what im dealing with.
You can shoot me with your 14.5, but no way I'm letting you shoot me with your 16 🙄

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
silver solder would work.

ok so ive been reading on the pin/weld options and see silver solder come up alot. however, from what i can tell, that method involves coating the threads with the silver solder and then heating the muzzle device as well as barrel to approx 1100 degrees to melt the solder and therfore afix the muzzle device to the barrel. Im not sure that sounds better or easier than pin/weld, and that is alot of heat so im not sure that is good for the barrel life.

I was initially thinking that I would be able to drill, pin and then silver solder the pin in place, but that does not seem to be the case.

if one does pin and "weld" does it have to be like tig or mig or whatever?

I have a bud that has a welder, he admits he isnt very good at it but i think ill get him to teach me how it works and try it myself, I can practice on a spare a2 flash hider from the parts bin.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
alright yall, what sort of sight set up would you put on this little carbine?
I have available:
Fixed irons
folding irons
Holosun RDS
Primary arms 1x micro prism
Firefield 1-6 lpvo

Im leaning towards just running the 1x prism as its a very robust and great sight for close range out to a couple hundred yards.

not a huge fan of RDS, but i have an extra one so.. its technically an option but i bought the 1x prism to replace the rds..

the LPVO is a strong second place as its good for both close up and longer ranges. but i dont like the size and weight it adds.

Im likely to just run the 1x prism with no irons, but well see.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts