Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
alright yall, what sort of sight set up would you put on this little carbine?
I have available:
Fixed irons
folding irons
Holosun RDS
Primary arms 1x micro prism
Firefield 1-6 lpvo

Im leaning towards just running the 1x prism as its a very robust and great sight for close range out to a couple hundred yards.

not a huge fan of RDS, but i have an extra one so.. its technically an option but i bought the 1x prism to replace the rds..

the LPVO is a strong second place as its good for both close up and longer ranges. but i dont like the size and weight it adds.

Im likely to just run the 1x prism with no irons, but well see.
So I gather that you would recommend the PA microprism? I'm about to order the 3x version, as I really don't want to add a magnifier to a recent build, and 3x's makes some sense for me.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So I gather that you would recommend the PA microprism? I'm about to order the 3x version, as I really don't want to add a magnifier to a recent build, and 3x's makes some sense for me.
I have both the 1x and the 3x primary arms micro prisms. they are great, esp if you have astigmatism.. I had the 1x on a 10.5" and the 3x on a 16", i think im going to move the 1x to the 14.5". the 16" has a amd qd mount for the 3x MP and BUIS, so if i have to run it cqb i can pop to 3x off and run irons.

honestly though im waiting for someone (PA Please!) to make a compact 1-4x lpvo, that would be perfect for me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have both the 1x and the 3x primary arms micro prisms. they are great, esp if you have astigmatism.. I had the 1x on a 10.5" and the 3x on a 16", i think im going to move the 1x to the 14.5". the 16" has a amd qd mount for the 3x MP and BUIS, so if i have to run it cqb i can pop to 3x off and run irons.

honestly though im waiting for someone (PA Please!) to make a compact 1-4x lpvo, that would be perfect for me.
Thanks. I've read a lot of reviews and have been fairly confident, but it helps to get a straight honest opinion. I would be all over a 1-4 lpvo too.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks. I've read a lot of reviews and have been fairly confident, but it helps to get a straight honest opinion. I would be all over a 1-4 lpvo too.
man im looking for a truly compact 1-4 lpvo, like 6" and under 12 oz, I think its possible, something like the Leupold vx freedom 1.5-5x.. but 1-4x.

but, I went with the 3x MP because of its small size and light weight, and capability. its on a lightweight 16" rifle, a faxon gunner barrel. wanted a rifle that was optimized for medium ranges. it worked well on steel out to about 400 and then hits became hard to confirm.

If you ask me, the glass is really good, but i have not owned any super high end optics. however compared to cheap optics, in the $150 range, its way nicer.

the reticle is great and a really good size for what it is.

drawbacks of course are super up close, its not great, and super long range, not great.. but thats not what its meant for.

·
Registered
89 Posts
man im looking for a truly compact 1-4 lpvo, like 6" and under 12 oz, I think its possible, something like the Leupold vx freedom 1.5-5x.. but 1-4x.

but, I went with the 3x MP because of its small size and light weight, and capability. its on a lightweight 16" rifle, a faxon gunner barrel. wanted a rifle that was optimized for medium ranges. it worked well on steel out to about 400 and then hits became hard to confirm.

If you ask me, the glass is really good, but i have not owned any super high end optics. however compared to cheap optics, in the $150 range, its way nicer.

drawbacks of course are super up close, its not great, and super long range, not great.. but thats not what its meant for.
Sweet. Hopefully I will be able to agree with you here shortly. I finished this one a couple of months ago, and everything in my world has been eating money. My patience finally wears out when I complete a big project tomorrow. I can only act responsible for so long. I need to shoot it.

·
Registered
89 Posts

You got me looking about. Do you have a thousand bucks I can borrow? Yarg.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
well today I was able to shoot both the 16" and the 14.5" today. I really like the 14.5, its heavier, but noticeably shorter. conversely, the 16" is lighter but feels way longer.

i think next time i find a good deal on one ill pick up a 14.5" lightweight profile barrel as that would be the best of both. but, for now, the 14.5" will become my go-to, end of the world, only pick one rifle.
broken down it fits nicely in a rather small rifle case with a few magazines, fits behind the passenger seat nice and out of the way.

my experience today really highlighted the pros and cons of the 1x and 3x prisms. the 3x is much better for anything at longer ranges, but the 1x wins hands down for closer ranges.

Im really hoping someone will come out with a truly compact 1-4x or 1-6x LPVO because for me that would be ideal.

I did have one malfunction but it was due to an old magpul 20 round magazine, like gen 1 old, the follower/spring are failing and caused a round not to feed correctly. not the guns fault.

it ran 55 gr, 62 gr and 68 gr all great, ejection at 330 -4 oclock. got 1"ish groups at 50, im sure it could do better with a bench rest.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts