close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

16 gauge popularity

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

It fits perfectly between 12 gauge & 20 gauge...which may be it's undoing...It deserves to be way more popular :eek: :rolleyes: :fuss: :nod: :assult:I'm going to buy one... eventually :p

2. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I have a Browning 'sweet-sixteen' that my Grandfather gave me. 16 gauge is my personal favorite. I think the real draw back is the cost of the shells. The best you can find is still about 1/3 more than 12 and 20. It's kind of a catch-22, Nobody is getting it because the shells are so expensive and the shells are so expensive because nobady is buying 16s. Oh well.

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Its really not needed, either 12 or 20 gauge can do what you want at the conditions you want. I use a 20 for rabbit to be more sporting and less meat wastage.

4. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I have a 16 and LOVE it. I got the 16 (Rem model 31) before the 20 so that makes the 20 not needed in my book;)
    Remington has resurected the 870 in 16ga. Oh if I only had a bit more pocket change. Sweet 16 is awesome, never part with it! I use my 16 for rabbit, 1 oz of 6's. Not much of a difference between that and 7/8 oz of 6's.

5. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

NRAJoe...nobody said anything about need...tell that to Mrs. NRAJoe next time you come back from a gunshow or gunstore...The .40 caliber has been doing good for something that wasn't needed

6. NRAJOE

There are too many calibers that can do the same or better. The .40 for example, not needed, not well recieved except by diehards that will accept any caliber just as long as it shoots! If a small following can keep it going then more power to them.

7. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Man Joe the .40 was extremely well received...It was the perfect answer to all the .45ACP vs 9mm arguments that took place before it was introduced to the shooting public

8. NRAJOE

I have LEO friends who tryed it and went back to 9mm or now swear by the.357sig. More power to anyone who swears by their favorite cartridge. Time will tell. I am kind of a purist, 9mm, .38,.357,.44,.45...all those "old stuffy cartridges" that our pappys and granpappys shot.

9. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

.357 Sig...now that's a cartridge I could sink my teeth into...I like the .40...I don't have one
    (two .357s and a 9mm)

10. NRAJOE

Thats one new cartridge I've even thought about getting. Heard nothing but good things about it. Used to get the occasional negative about the .40.

11. jerry

USA
    I can hear the conversations through history now.............
    Naw, we don't need no new fangled metalic cartrige;
    Hey, why would anyone shoot anything besides the 44-40;
    I'll give up my 45 colt when they take it from my cold dead fingers;
    Lengthen the .38, your on drugs!;
    Yeah did you hear about that old Elmer coot, what a moron;
    Do you REALLY thing anyone will buy a 3" 20 ga?;
    No, we absolutely need no other deer cartrige other than the 30-30;
    ;)

12. NRAJOE

Yeah, yeah I hear ya Jerry...:p

13. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I like the old fashioned calibers too...They weren't broken...
    the problem with most modern 16 gauges is they are built on 12 gauge frames...making them heavier to carry

14. jerry

USA
    agree to disagree

15. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I thought we were talking about shotguns?

16. jerry

USA
    LD confused me, look at his first and last post????? LD first your singing the praises of the 16 hen slamming it???? There are plenty of trim 16s out there. some IMO swing a bit better than some of the 20's with a tad bit more beef

17. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

We were but you guys know Joe

18. jerry

USA
    Aw, come on now. We all have our own quirks. Good bad or ugly:)

19. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

:hmmm: ah the good ole days

20. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

When I'm 90 years old or older :cool: I'll still have my Browning Sweet Sixteen. Bought it used in 1961 for $100 in Wichita, KS. Used it a lot then for quail hunting. My honest feeling about it's condition is that it's in 90-95% condition. It's got a ventilated rib, of course...the gold trigger, beautiful checkered wood stock with excellent finish and practically no scratches and the blueing is excellent. I cannot detect any flaws in the bore, either. Wouldn't put a price on it but Cabela's didn't have anything on their racks that even came close to the Sweet Sixteen in my gun case.

Took it target shooting three weeks ago and set my poly choke on slug to check it's pattern. At around 30 feet the spread was about a foot wide. I suppose if I'd used slug rounds the pattern might have been smaller.

So if the price of 16 SG shells goes up I'll just pay whatever it takes to keep supplied.