Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I have the Ruger Precision Rimfire in 22 Mag, It is incredibly accurate. I also have the Savage 93 in 17 hmr and the Savage Bmag in 17 wsm. All,of them are under half inch groups at 100. Amazing the quality these days. I shoot all three suppressed which kills the sound enough that I do not need any ear protection.

They make 45 grain subsonic 22 mag ammo and when suppressed it is whisper quiet and that makes the Ruger even more fun. You basically just hear a splat,when the bullet hits something.

Enjoy your Ruger. They have 300 yard competition now for rimfires. . Find yourself a 300 yard place to shoot and take some 1 gallon water jugs with you. That is a very long way, but once you find your holdover point lots of fun.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Gotta wonder, is there an advantage to 45 grain subsonic 22 wmr over the same in 22 lr? Energies would be the same.Do the magnum projectiles have better construction, jackets, etc?
I think you are spot on, no difference in power of the two. Just one more gun to play with, but the mag with the subsonic suppressed can be fired in my yard at skunks and such without alerting the neighbors. And I can target practice at my house without a problem. If there is noise the cops shut us down. Lots of city folk have moved out here, they are afraid of gunshots.

I bought the RPR in 22 mag because I had the 17 HMR and 17 WSM for years. The mag gives a better/bigger bullet for out to about 150 yards. All three are tack drivers just by luck. I could not be more pleased.

The subsonic ammo is not much different than a regular 22., I have the 45 grain subsonic for it also. I could use my 1022 except the accuracy is not even close, and the bolt action us quieter than the semi auto.. I have a Cabela's Credit card and got the RPR free from the rewards points that built up over time. I also have a Golden Boy and a Ruger Single Six in 22 mag and really like the caliber.

I have not shot animals with it, so I do not have an opinion if the jacket material is an advantage. If I take a shot at a coyote with it, most likely it would be a head shot. I have been enthralled with subsonic for over a decade, especially in rimfire. The 22 mag subsonic is probably not worth the expense for most people, but they are silent and shoot under 1/2 moa. So they are worth a smile for me. The first time I tried them, I was also checking the scope. I could not tell where I was hitting, so I fired the entire 15 round mag at the same spot. I was close under 40 yards, but I put all 15 rounds inside a hole that was about .30 cal. That degree if precision is really a great thing to have. The best application for them is crows raiding the garden or prairie dogs.

For years I used the 60 grain Aguilla subsonic. But they are not even close in any gun I have tried. And they have a very poor trajectory. So both the 22 lr and the 22 mag with the 45 grain buckets are better in my book. So I just have three Guns that do about the same thing except the 22 mag is good for about 150 yards, the 17 HMR to about 200 and the 17 WSM beyond that.

The RPR also let's you shoot tiny groups just for fun. I have a bolt action 223 and ARs if I want to call coyotes at our hunting lease or public land, but it is big and noisy. The rimfires are petite.

Anyway, the OP has a fine gun and is expressing the same fun with the accuracy. If they had offered this gun in 17 WSM, that would have been my choice, love that round even more.

My two cents.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I don’t shoot more than 100yards typically, so extended range performance isn’t a big deal for my rimfires.I do have a couple marlin model 25 in 22wmr, but don’t really use em much. Got them because they were too cheap to pass up.
I do use the Aquila 60 grain, their performance is much better if you have the right barrel on a 22lr. Green Mountain used to make a faster twist barrel for the 1022, for using the 60 grain subsonics. Good accuracy that way. And the trajectory doesn’t matter much at only 100 yards. Much past that and the drop starts getting heavy.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The 17 HMR works very well on woodchucks. The ones I got in June this year were shot at about 25 yards. On the hit, they just collapsed with not a twitch. It did a lot of damage but did not blow them up.
I also found the round to be pretty flat shooting. I can hold pretty much dead on out to 100 yards. But it falls off fast after that, and that's perfect for what I want out of it. Anything beyond 75 yards is rare around here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts