close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

17 Winchester Super Mag (B-Mag)

Discussion in 'Rimfire Rifles' started by animalspooker, Jan 10, 2014.

1. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    I've heard horror stories on the accuracy of these rifles. Everyone I talk to says it because of the cheap stocks. I had one in the store and looked at it. The stock is in contact with the barrel. That's never good. I've been telling everyone to be patient that someone will be coming out with an aftermarket stock soon.

Boyds (who I would've guessed) released one yesterday. Don't know any details, but duct tape could be used to make a better stock than the one Savage is using. Good luck to all!!!

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/subgrouping.htm?cat=6798

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I looked at the b-mag in 17 hornet at Sportsman's warehouse. The stock was absolute junk. Up against the barrel on one side. Reminded me of the Savage quality you would see 20 30 years ago.

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

A deep socket and some sand paper..... and Bob's yer uncle! ;-)

4. bomar97

bomar97 G&G Regular

Thanks for the link on the stocks.. we couldn't even group with the B-Mag but hear others are getting good results.. maybe pot luck on how it was put together.

5. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

Lets see, 350 for a gun and 100 for the stock equals 450...

A new CZ 527 will run 600...

So a 17 WSM rimfire for 450 that I cant reload
    Or
    a 17 Hornady Hornet for 600 that I can reload...

no brainer for me...

6. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 G&G Enthusiast

I've a Sako in 22 Hornet, I'll pass on the 17WSM.

7. Its unlikely that I will get a first production Savage B Mag 17 WSM rim fire rifle or the last model with the heaver barrel and thicker forearm plastic stock. When I first read about the Winchester 17 Super Mag cartridge it interested me. With 3,000 ft/sec 20 Gr bullet MV velocity would make it a longer range rifle than my 17 HMR by some 100 yards. I m retired so I v taken the time to read about the new Savage rim fire action to handle the increased chamber pressure that the 17 WSM round has over their accurate rim fire rifles chambered for the 17 HMR and 22 Mag . I have read that some of the owners are pleased with their Savage B Mag 17 WSM but there were a lot of comments that the rifles were not accurate, that the stock was of poor quality, the round would not extract , the bolt handle was different, at times when closing the bolt the hammer was not set back and that removing the stock was different than their other rim fire rifles. Some were getting Boyd wood stocks with only some getting improved accuracy. Some posted pics of the ammo which were defective and there was one person that separated the ammo by weight an another suggested separating the ammo by rim thicknes to get improved accuracy. The first B Mag rifle sold for around $ 300 and the new heavy barrel price is around $ 400. Unless some other companies start making better ammo and rifles I somewhat expect the 17 WSM to die off like the Rem 5 MM rim fire cartridge did years ago. I got a new CZ 17 Hornet which I sited in yesterday, what a difference , see my post in the CZ area.

mauser9 likes this.
  8. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Felt this new 17 would sell like hotcakes. Darn confusing with all these 17s available. Gonna stick with my 22 mag. for close range varminting though. Gonna be interesting.

Whitedevil84 and variolamajor like this.
  9. variolamajor

variolamajor G&G Evangelist

I think we've seen market saturation in the .17 market. I saw some of this ammo for sale for the first time the other day although I could not see the price. I have no interest in this. I had a .22 magnum and was happy with that. A couple years ago I finally broke down and got the .17 HMR. I was pleased with it's accuracy over the .22 magnum - but not surprised as it has a aerodynamic bullet versus the classic "round nose" you get with the .22 calibers. I still recognize the 'limitations" of a tiny bullet no matter how fast you push it. While you can get up to 3,000fps using the 20gr .17 magnum load - if you use the 25gr load that drops to the 2500fps range which makes it comparable to the HMR loads. If you believe that 5grs more is going to "make a difference" - that's up to you. For moderate range accuracy - I like the .17 HMR. If I want a bit more flexibility that comes with a heavier bullet - then the .22 magnum suffices. o_O

mauser9 likes this.
  10. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Agree pal. Perhaps this super 17 arrived a bit too late after the popularity of the 17 HMR. I always felt I may be better off with the 22 mag. with the 40 grainer CCI Gamepoints for varmints at woods ranges of 50 to 75 yards for species like fox. Neighbor bought the 17 HMR and I was impressed with the accuracy. Good points you raised.

variolamajor likes this.
  11. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

Two of my co-workers bought BMags.. One has installed a new Boyds stock and one is shooting with the original stock.
    I've kept my mouth shut, but another one of the shooting co-workers asked them both if they had considered tightening the choke on the end of the barrel to get the pattern a bit tighter.. o_O
    At 100 yards they're having a hard time holding a 3-4" pattern.. He originally had a 3x9x40 Vortex on it, and was concerned that the scope wasn't holding zero, so I loaned him a Leopold 3x9x40 and the only thing that changed is he now knows the Vortex is just fine.:D

12. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    Looking at balistics, I'd probably go with a .17 hornet too. But then I realized they have almost exactly the same trajectory as a .223, Which I already have, plus I already havea .22mag and .22lr, I dont think I need anymore small cals!

Then again I probably didnt NEED all of the ones I have now!

The .17 WSM would be fun to have and shoot, but to me it's more of a fun gun than a practical gun, except for a few specific roles.

13. Bassthoven

Bassthoven G&G Newbie

Hi all. I'm not a big forum person, but seeing as how I bought my second 17 wsm today, I figured I had better chime in. First off, if you havent shot one, I strongly urge you too. I know we all have our favorites, but hands down I love this gun. First I bought the pencil barreled version, the bull barrel is a little off balance. Threw on an inexpensive nikko sterling 4-12.40 scope and sighted it in. 10 shots later I was consistently touching holes on paper. Its like firing a big boy at the range with zero punishment. After riding in the truck for a week or so, my daughter and I went squirrel hunting (her 10/22 of course). Now the only reason I bought this gun was for real world practice shooting fur at long distances. Long story short....... saw a squirrel at 150 yards, dropped to one knee, timed my heartbeat, and dropped it. I was pleasantly suprised, especially with my doubts on the midgrade glass. And every time since, its spot on. The biggest concern with this round is damage control. Absolutely devasting compared to 22lr. Shot placement is everything. The firearm and the cartridge were done right. The bull barreled version I bought tonight will get a nice wood stock to help balance the weight and better glass of course. The accu trigger is fantastic. Flush 8 round rotary mag. Zero buyers remorse. Cant wait for more manufacturers to start producing in this caliber. Hope this helps.

mauser9 likes this.
  14. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Welcome to G&G from Alaska.
    Stop on in the introduction thread and say hello.

15. Bel56air

Bel56air G&G Newbie

I had to put my 2 cents in on this old conversation. I shot one of the first b-mag .17 wsm. The stock was garbage and It was not accurate. 1.5” groups at 115 yards. A local Walmart had them 4 years later on sale for $235. I bought it because I spend time sage rat shooting. The stock is still garbage but I replaced it with a Boyd’s at one stock. Changed the bold handle to an after market so it does not hit the scope. Put high scope rings and a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50mm scope. I have just under $700 into it and I have not done an accuracy test since sighting it in. But, I can do head shots on coyotes at 160 yards which is my fence line out back. 7 coyotes and counting. My .22-250 is getting lonely....

animalspooker likes this.
  16. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

the brass case is also perfect for making 270 and 7mm bullets.
    you treat them like making 22 lr into 223 bullets, and shoot them at about 2700 fps velocity wise but they do the job when they get there.

17. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    Lonely guns make me cry. Send him to me and I'll give him all kinds of love.

Bel56air likes this.
  18. One of my coworkers bought one and has been loving it so far. He say's he's had very good accuracy out of it. Personally, I'll stick to the 22lr and use a bigger rifle when needed.