180gr. Winchester Fail Safe Safe to Shoot?

Discussion in 'Winchester' started by shockwalter, Sep 26, 2002.

1. shockwalter

shockwalter Guest

My dad just gave me two boxes of Winchester 180gr Fail Safe ammo and I would like to know if it's safe to shoot in a Garand. This is a mid 80's Springfield made with real Springfild parts.:assult:

2. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I think I asked about this a while back, and learned that modern loads designed for commercial rifles are a bit too strong, use slower burning powder, and heavier bullets than the M1 Garand was built to handle.
    When I got my M1 after selling my 30-06 bolt action, I gave the full box of 180gr shells with the rifle and the half used box to GunGeek. I think that Amerivcan Eagle loads are ok for the Garand though.

3. I would stick with regular M2 ball ammo. You will never get in trouble.

4. gunsmith_tony

gunsmith_tony Guest

Just speaking from my own experience, I wouldn't use any projectiles over 165-grn. Most commercial ammunition designed for both bolt, and gas guns will work. But, as I said, stay away from the heavier bullets. Don't wanna warp an op-rod! ;)

5. Rock

Rock Guest

Stockwalter, All modern ammo is hard on a M1, all you need to do is get a McCann adjustable gas system for your rifle and you are good to go...You can shoot any ammo you want to, I put one on mine and it works like a charm...You can find them at www.brownells.com part #100-000-402 Happy shooting...:assult:

6. shockwalter

shockwalter Guest

Thank's for all the info everyone!!