Gun and Game Forum banner

1851 Colt ? Not sure if this is real . I bought a few accessories including case .

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Pumpkinheaver 
#1 ·
Hello. Loved reading some of the posts . Hopefully I can get some advice on an old gun i received from my grandfather.

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to Gun and Game. From across the lakes in Ohio.
Shame you do not live in the US, you could just send it to Colt and get it appraised, and certified for under a hundred.
There are a few fellows around here, that know those old Colts. A lot of people are in different time zones. Give it a day tops and I am sure you will have plenty of replies.
My self I know how to work and care for them but not much as far as Identification, year and such.

#4 ·
Welcome to Gun and Game. Form across the lakes in Ohio.
There are a few fellows around here, that know those old Colts. A lot of people are form different time zones. Give it a day tops and I am sure you will have plenty of replies.
My self I know how to work and care for them but not much as far as Identification, year and such.
Thank you , in the meantime do I lightly give it a small wipe of oil ? Or store it dry ?

#6 · (Edited)
Can use pretty much any regular gun oil for short term, just stay off that old wood, with anything but Renaissance Wax.
Until you get some. You can use pretty much any " regular" gun oil, on the metal.
Good to clean the metal with alcohol to remove any oil before Waxing. But again, on the old wood, alcohol and oil best kept off it .
That wood should only get either Carnauba or Renaissance Wax, if you are looking at preserving as is.

#7 ·
Canadian eh?
Welcome to G&G from Alaska.

You need to send that old wood box of junk up here to Alaska. I will secure it in cold storage, while keeping safe from the Canadian government. ;)

#10 ·
Well it’s only a matter of time till Canadian govt takes what’s left away of our guns . I might try and post some pics of gun from different angles. I was told some repros can look just as good as an authentic Colt. This was the gun I and my cousins used to wear in a holster walking around grandpas house as toddlers . Came my way as pure luck. If fake it sure feels good in my hand when watching ( the outlaw Josey Whales) or ( Pale Rider ). Grandpa once owned a general store in Watertown Alberta back in the 30s . This and many other artifacts were brought in by the First Nations at that time in trade for goods. I will post pics ASAP . Could be a repro , maybe someone can give an educated opinion . thank you.

#12 ·
Nice! Patina looks good, don't ever aggressively clean it! Holster wear at the muzzle shows it's many decades of use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.