Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given this rifle by my falter in law the other day and as i have looked up the history on it. it shoots clean but has an issue i need help with.

The site on the end of the barrel is bent and im not sure how to fix it.

Any reasonably quick fix to this or any gunsmiths around jefferson county Missouri that can help?

Also is it better to keep this gun the way it is or would it be good to put a new stock and a scope on it instead of iron sites?

Appreciate all feedback.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Can you post a pic of the sight? You may be able to either straighten it or possibly replace it pretty cheaply. IMO, unless it has already been drilled and tapped, I wouldn't scope it unless you are going to hunt with it. Try looking @ www.ssporters.com Russ has replacement sight blades for $1.00 used or $2.00 new along with most other parts you might need.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I was given this rifle by my falter in law the other day and as i have looked up the history on it. it shoots clean but has an issue i need help with.
The site on the end of the barrel is bent and im not sure how to fix it.
Any reasonably quick fix to this or any gunsmiths around jefferson county Missouri that can help?
Also is it better to keep this gun the way it is or would it be good to put a new stock and a scope on it instead of iron sites?
Appreciate all feedback.

Check the head space on it before you shoot it .

This is an old surplus rifle and you have no way to know it's history . Much different than a new , out of the box commercial rifle .

I am not saying it is a bad rifle . Just be safe .

If you do not know how to head space a rifle , I will be happy to explain .

Is it still in 7mm Mauser ?

Some Chilian Mausers were re-chambered to 7.62 NATO in the 1960's . I have three model 1898 Mausers that were . Some of the M1893 Mausers were re-chambered too ( I think ) . In my opinion , I would not shoot a M93 chambered for 7.62 NATO , even on a bet .

They are fine in 7mm Mauser , if headspace and everything else is OK .

Pick up a copy od Shotgun News Magazine , there used to be a lot od adds for parts .

God bless
Wyr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts