Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this 1893 Espanol Mauser manufactured in Oberndorf a/n. Someone I believe tried to sporterize but not sure. The stock doesn't appear original and no fore stock/handguard, but the original front and rear sights remain. What really confuses me is the barrel length, it is shorter than any specs I've been able to pull up on the net. I have seen references of a spanish short rifle, but assumed they where talking about the 95 carbine. Is there a short "93 or has mine been modified to maybe sporterized or something???? Any ideas??? Thanks

:feedback:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,945 Posts
According to Robert Ball's book, "Mauser Military Rifles Of The World":

Spanish M1893 "True Carbine": Length 37.0" Barrel 17.0"
These carbines are NOT converted or shortened.

Spanish M1893 Rifle: Length 48.60" Barrel 29.06"

He doesn't list an M1893 "Short Rifle" - the later Short Rifles generally have about a 21.0" to 23.0" barrel.

The Spanish M1895 Carbine has a 17.56" barrel and is full-stocked in Manlicher style.

The Spanish M1916 is a Short Rifle being converted from the longer M1916 rifle to a barrel length of 21.75".
There is also an M1916 "True Carbine" with a 17.0" barrel, no bayonet mount.

Hope this helps you pin it down. :)

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys, sorry took so long to get back, 3 16 hr days 'bout wore this old man plump down. I hope the pics help show what I have. The barrel does appear to be around 21"+ and the total length to butt plate is a little less than 41". I removed the front sight base/sight when cleaning the black paint from everything....Thanks.....Jim

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Looks like the rifle is intact, however the stock is a lost cause. Did you see any holes in the reciever where someone might have addded a scope mount?

PS how much did you get her for?

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope.. hasn't been drilled and tapped. Looks to be original ( except for stock ).. still the length has me confused. This gun with a wad of others, all long guns, gun parts, (some junk some not) come from a swap meet 'bout 20 yrs ago. Didn't know what was in the wad 'till later. Kept it (and a couple of others) all these years with the intentions to restore, if I can find out what to restore it too.....

·
36,945 Posts
Be nice to see the front sight - it would help pin it down. The rear sight is NOT that of an M1916, so that one is off our list of candidates, though the barrel length still isn't right for an M1893 carbine.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Some gunsmith "sporterized" that mauser by removing the handguard and bands and Cut the stock down, then they shortened the barrel and turned it down to fit the front sight base...I used to see a lot of these so it is not uncommon. They were so cheap back in the 50's and 60's that this was done to Enhance sales as Hunting rifles.
Rich

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretty much what I was afraid of. I wonder if it is even shootable? Did the '93's need to be heat treated or reworked in some manner to handle the pressure of modern ammo?

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
The Mauser '93/'95 action is very serviceable, it does not have to be "re-heat treated" as long as you do not remove the carburizing on the exterior surfaces of the arm by grinding or in some cases lapping. They are a cox on closing bolt and that is really not an issue at least for me. If you are going to shoot the arm you own I would recommend that you have the headspace checked, if it is good then you can definitely shoot modern ammo in it.

·
36,945 Posts
I believe Mooseman has it right, as I have a Chinese T53 carbine with a similar treatment. Too well done for a backyard bubba, I've been told some importers had batches of milsurps done like this. My old Spanish M43 Mauser had it's stock cut down too, to make it a "sporter rifle", though thankfully the barrel and sights were all intact. I bought it among a batch of similar rifles from K-mart in 1976!
No way to properly restore this Mauser, but you could restock it and make it look a much better sporter.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the great imput. If not for all the info, I most certainly would be still scratching my head wondering what the heck do I do now. First to the gunsmith and have the headpiece and the rest checked. If AOK then restock. Sounds like a plan to me... Thanks again for herding me in the right direction.... I'll post results if I'm able.. After I tell my Better Half what I bought today.....all bets are off

Better to be despised for too anxious apprehensions, than ruined by too confident security!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts