Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1895 Classic Range and accuracy

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Apr 6, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I'd like to know what kind of groupings an 1895 Classic in 45-70 would get, and at what ranges it would be effective on which game (whitetail, elk, moose, black bear, grizzley).
  2. Spots

Spots G&G Newbie

I too would like to know. I picked up a '70s 1895 straight stock 45/70 specifically for this years hunt. Personally, I'd like some actual experience related info, vice theoretical (book stuff). Any suggestions?

3. Double D

Double D G&G Newbie

Ok here's what I've learned from the guys at Marlin talk.

1. You can expect accuracy to be 1" from 50-100yds and not much more than 2" at the same ranges. At 200yds ( a reasonable limit for an ethical shot) not more than about 4"

2. For Deer most shots I've read about tend to be between 50-100 yds. That goes for elk too but usually shorter range. Bear I would expect that you would see that shot anywhere from 30-100 yds. All well within the 45-70 effective range.

There are those that believe the 45-70 will shoot farther effectively but these tend to be excepted averages. I will say that from what I've gleaned talking with other Marlin owners regarding this issue is that these rifles can shoot! That's why i will be joining the ranks of lever gun owner shortly. I hope this helps and please know that this is all second hand info. I would highly suggest going to and clicking on Marlin Talk and postin this question under the Big Bore section you will get lots of more qualified answers. you guys have a couple of great rifles in your hands. Good shooting!
  4. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Well, I don't have one... I had a big bore Marlin once, if you count the Camp 45, but I sold it and moved on to bigger and better things (ie M1 Garand). But I'm looking forward to getting a 45-70 some day.
  5. dogngun

dogngun G&G Newbie

I had a straight stock 1970's mod. 1895 that I bought in about 1976. I put a Williams peep sight on it, and got groups similar to what you are talking about. You need to shoot this rifle a lot to get used to the "old time" trajectory over 150 yards. This is an accurate, powerful, useful rifle, and I think it looks great with the straight stock. It's a great rifle to shoot just for fun, and I had great accuracy with Remington factory loads and with medium - to higher power handloads from the Speer book. A great rifle, and one I should NEVER have sold.

Check the Marlin Firearms "Marlin Talk" forum for lots of information on the .45-70.