Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a hunting rifle. I'm not too big of a fan of bolt-action. I've always liked lever actions and I thought one of these two would be a good choice.

Does anyone here have one either of these? What are your opinions of them? How do they shoot?

I particularly like the idea of the 45/70 gov't round on the 1895, but...just wandered what you guys have to say.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a hunting rifle. I'm not too big of a fan of bolt-action. I've always liked lever actions and I thought one of these two would be a good choice.

Does anyone here have one either of these? What are your opinions of them? How do they shoot?

I particularly like the idea of the 45/70 gov't round on the 1895, but...just wandered what you guys have to say.

Thanks.
There is a big difference in range and power between the .45-70 and .45 Colt.There is a big difference in a 94 model and 95model,but I doubt that you will have much luck finding a Winchester period.Marlin would a better chance.Explain what you are hunting and how. samuel.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Winchester? No, I'm talkin about Marlin for both models.

As far as hunting.

Elk - up to 750 lbs here in Colorado
Black Bear - Up to 350 lbs here in Colorado
Deer (whitetail) - up to about 250 lbs here in Colorado

Means of hunt will mostly be track hunting and the occassional tree stand watch hunt.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
you eleminated the .45 Colt if you are after game that big.The .45-70 will do it but the drop table will limit range to 200yds give or take a little.I am limited on knowledge on .45cal.firearms but have some experience with both .45-70 and .450 Marlin,the .45-70 having a little more when loaded right but both will do it at intremediate range.I have used both on deer but they arent meat savers.A double lung shot works for me. samuel.

·
Registered
336 Posts
WHoo! There for a minute CrazyIvan, I thought you were going to join SASS and dress like a cowboy, and shoot steel targets for time.

I own a 1895 in the 45-70 and love the gun, but I do like the Marlin 444 much better for the ballistics over the 45-70. It does also kick a bit more, and the shells (if you don't reload) are more expensive. I shoot my Sharps for around $1.00 a shell, but the 444 will be around $1.50

The 450 Marlin, I am not impressed with the ballistics except for the ME. and the shells will run you around $35.00 for the box of $20.00

Nothing wrong with the 45-70 marlin, or with the 450 marlin. I just prefer the 444 even though I own two 45-70's in a marlin, and a sharps, for it's compact design in a lever gun with an ample amount of energy to bring down the game.

.444 Marlin

.45-70 (Cowboy)

.450 Marlin

print these links out and compare the balistics to the muzzle energy, and you will see what I mean

Forgot to add,..... If you shoot the new hornady lever evolution with the crimped ballistic plastic tip, add another 250 fps to those charts. It will blow your mind what they are doing with these balistics.

Yep, the 444 marlin is my moose, bear, elk, and mountain lion gun from now on.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Spurz and Samuel, that info will help a lot. :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
you're welcome....

I think you will like the looks of the 444 cartridge also. Not as much taper on the case as a 45-70 pretty much a straight case, and I found also that it is easier to load through the side load gate. The 45-70, Is harder to get the ammo pushed in.

I just put a 4x power compact burris on my 444 at the recommendation of a few of our friends here on the G&G. Shooting a 2 inch group at 100 yards. 2 will almost be side by side, and then one is always an inch higher. That is using cross sticks.

Now if I took it over to the gun range, on the concrete tables, I could pound them all in the red dot. I'm not that good with the Marlin 45-70, the C-Sharps because of the 30 inch barell, They will vary in a 3-4 inch group at 150 yards with tang sights. Good enough for me. I'm not trying to knock the hairs off a gnats butt.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Spurzmaker:Thanks for your revue on personal experience of large bore lever guns and cartridges.I never hunted with the .444 but always considered it a little lighter than the .450 and .45-70 with a little flatter trajectory.I fired it on the range and liked it. samuel.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I have the 45-70 Marlin 1895 and I love it...For thick brush, close shots on Big and Dangerous game, it will do the job. Lots of Pilots carry the Breakdown Model for survival up here in their single engine aircraft . The guide gun with built in Muzzle brake is very popular here too !
Rich

1 - 9 of 9 Posts