close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1896/11 compared to a 1911 rifle

Discussion in 'Swiss Rifles' started by dogzebra, Feb 13, 2014.

1. dogzebra

dogzebra G&G Evangelist

Were there any discernible changes to the rear tangent leaf sight or base mount between the 1896/11 and 1911 rifles? I can't see any differences myself, but then I've been told that I don't know it all.

I want to mount an extra pistol scope on my 1896/11 using an S&K scout mount like the one I installed on my 1911. When I asked the S&K rep if their 1911 mount would fit on my 1896/11, she said,"No. What's a 1896/11?" And I didn't have to punch 1 for English.

dz

Attached Files:

2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

3. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

4. dogzebra

dogzebra G&G Evangelist

Yes, this link is on my favorites list, but I haven't been able fish out an answer to my question with their info.

Thanks,

dz

5. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Well, all I see is 1889/96s were converted to 1896.11s buy replacing or modifying the following:

It was also the first year they went from quadrant sights to tangent leaf spring. I'm a thinking they would be the same since they both shot the same new GP11 cartridges.

6. Guisan

Guisan G&G Regular

NL
    Basically only the receiver and the bolt are 1896, all other parts were replaced or modified to make the rifle look and perform like a 1911 long rifle.

I've seen your same questions showing up allover the internet and you've got plenty of good answers to them so I suggest that you should do something with that info.

A pistol scope is designed for a pistol and not for a long rifle, that rifle can do way better as a pistol at longer distances.

7. dogzebra

dogzebra G&G Evangelist

Yes I did also post this single, same question, "Were there any discernible changes to the rear tangent leaf sight or base mount between the 1896/11 and 1911 rifles?" over on surplusrifle.com. I thought each of the answers I got were non definitive, if not, somewhat leading.

I don't care at all for the SP offset styled scope mounts. Their designs strike me as an engineering afterthought.

Since I already have a long eye relief pistol scope in hand, I guess I'll go with the $82 steel S&K scout mount with steel rings included. My m1911 shoots sub M.O.A., I expect no less from the 96/11, using the same rig.

Thanks for your efforts guys.

dz

8. dogzebra

dogzebra G&G Evangelist

Since I wasn't willing to purchase another scope base not knowing whether it'd fit or not, I pulled the S&K mount off of my 1911 and it did fit the 96/11.
    So knowing that, I ordered another mount for the 96/11 too.

Funny side note, the bottom of the new S&K mount is stamped ''96/11''.

dz

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      528.9 KB
      Views:
    • 028.JPG
      028.JPG
      File size:
      458.2 KB
      Views:
  9. GunnerJacky

GunnerJacky G&G Newbie

There are not enough visible difference in 1896/11 and 1911 rifles. But 1911 rifles are more powerful and accuracy.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014