Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get an idea of how much my rifle is appraised for. I own an 1898 Springfield armory bolt action rifle 30-40 krag. It's in good condition (for its age) and has a cursive letter P engraved right below the trigger. If anyone could let me know or at least give me an idea of what I'm looking at I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
19,622 Posts
I'm looking to get an idea of how much my rifle is appraised for. I own an 1898 Springfield armory bolt action rifle 30-40 krag. It's in good condition (for its age) and has a cursive letter P engraved right below the trigger. If anyone could let me know or at least give me an idea of what I'm looking at I would greatly appreciate it.
Pictures would be a big help, also barrel length. Being as one made in 1898 is an antique under the law it will have a little extra value either way simply due to how easily it can be sold.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,217 Posts
Sounds like a US Army Krag Jorgensen in .30-40 Krag, but as the Krag was made in both carbine and rifle lengths, and variations of both as well, we really do need photos to offer any informed opinions.

There is a Krag rifle at my local gun shop going for $1200 at the moment. I'd love to have it, but financially it is out of reach at present.

·
Registered
19,622 Posts
Sounds like a US Army Krag Jorgensen in .30-40 Krag, but as the Krag was made in both carbine and rifle lengths, and variations of both as well, we really do need photos to offer any informed opinions.

There is a Krag rifle at my local gun shop going for $1200 at the moment. I'd love to have it, but financially it is out of reach at present.
The cheapest one I've seen around here in years was $600 and it was a Bubba'd sporter being held together with duct tape. Somehow I managed to pick my (professionally) sportered one up a couple of years ago at a gun show for $250.

I thought the tag had been misprinted at first.

·
Registered
19,622 Posts
Well, good news first - it is in great condition. Bad news, the serial number places it as being made in 1900 which means it doesn't benefit from the extra value of being an antique, and therefore something that can be sold almost anywhere to almost anyone.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,217 Posts
Dang just my luck, what would you think something like that would go for
We still need more information and more photos.

We need to see the front sight, to see if it has been fiddled with. Also, the stacking swivels (if present) would give us a clue as to which variant it is.

A photo of the bore, if you can take one, would also be helpful. Bore condition plays a major factor in valuing a gun of any kind. (Example: Charlie, the co-owner of my local gun shop who knows I like the old guns, told me this the last time I was in. He was offered a collection of 35 Winchester rifles. Types included the Winchester 73, the 92, the 94, and the 1895. Calibers were all over the map. But the bores were all shot out, no exceptions; and the exteriors were all rusted. The collector wanted $30,000 for the lot. Charlie told him that in the condition the rifles were in, $7,500 would be a gift. As you might expect, they couldn't come to terms.)

Also, please measure the distance from the buttplate to the muzzle. That will tell us if it is a rifle or a carbine, which I at least can't tell from the pics you posted; there's nothing to scale with.

Reactions: noelekal

·
Registered
19,622 Posts
^ What Cyrano said.

Right now (and bear in mind that there are "local" prices and "internet" prices - and never the twain shall meet) you are at at least $600 if you were in my market without me having any other info. Based on the results of the other data you are able to provide you might be able to more than double that (at least in my market).

From what I can tell, if you were in Cyrano's neck of the woods you could almost double the price again over the maximum of what one would go for here in Alabama.

Internet prices vary so much as to be worthless as a guide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry it took me forever to respond works been crazy. The length of the weapon is 49 1/4 in. Let me know if you need any more pics, thanks

Right now (and bear in mind that there are "local" prices and "internet" prices - and never the twain shall meet) you are at at least $600 if you were in my market without me having any other info. Based on the results of the other data you are able to provide you might be able to more than double that (at least in my market).

From what I can tell, if you were in Cyrano's neck of the woods you could almost double the price again over the maximum of what one would go for here in Alabama.

Internet prices vary so much as to be worthless as a guide.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts