Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned this rifle for twenty years, and just revived interest in it. I want to shoot the 110gr bullet to keep the recoil down...varmint type stuff, and have been thinking about a scope for it. Any suggestions as to scope and or mounts? Thanks.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
My 03A3 doesn't have a scope mounted...so I don't know exactly your answer. But...is the receiver predrilled for rings and scope? Maybe getting a military scope to keep it looking basically originally would work.

Otherwise, check with a gunsmith for advice.

However, personally, I wouldn't change anything permanent on my 03A3. The iron sights work great for my deer hunting needs at 100 yds +/-.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Drilling an Original 1903a3 for a scope mont DECREASES the value by several hundred dollars, so you may want to reconsider and leave it original and find one alredy drilled...lots of them out there !
Rich

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Yeah, if I were you, I'd keep it in its original state. For about $300, you can find a 1903 in decent shape with the receiver drilled (I have one in a sports stock). Because it has a modern stock, I put a modern scope on it (Nikon ProStaff, which I love). If you feel that you must put a scope on it, try to get something that is true to its time period. :)

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Another vote here for keeping it original.

·
Registered
15 Posts
03A3 scope

Don't hurt the old soldier! If the gun is "issue" please find a beater to cobble up, not a nice, origional one in good shape. They are getting haard to find. Treat it with the respect it's due. I vote to leave it alone but, it's not my gun. Your call but consider what I and others say if you will.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Don't hurt the old soldier! If the gun is "issue" please find a beater to cobble up, not a nice, origional one in good shape. They are getting haard to find. Treat it with the respect it's due. I vote to leave it alone but, it's not my gun. Your call but consider what I and others say if you will.
Once, again, I agree with all so far and urge you NOT to a make any alterations to the ol' boy.

I have two pristene A3s and I would never even imagine, let alone consider, making any permanent changes to the rifles or alter one in any way as to leave disfuration to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts