Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited my great grandfather's 1903 springfields. One is a traditional 30-06 with some mods,and has the classic adjustable lyman sights. the other is a completely modified 22-250 with special mounts. I will be honest, I am and avid angler and outdoorsman but did not grow up around firearms. I just last year started getting in to firearms after receiving these beautiful rifles from my grandmother. I dont know much about them other than their original name and that my Grandfather competed professionally with them. The 22-250 springfield has mounts that span 8 1/4 inches from end to end. Could this be a mount for the unertl 8x. I have attached photos. Any thoughts or information you could give me would be great! I am looking to purchase the scope that fits so that this rifle can be fully operational again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,760 Posts
Welcome to G&G site. You have a nice sporter there. It does look like the mounts were made for a long target or sniper type scope like you describe..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
reply to the 1903 scope

Do you think that the scope is different due to the modifications or would a genuine military sniper of that age stay true to the scope given for that firearm? The reason I ask is that I want to get the scope that was originally mounted to the gun and countless gunsmiths have not been able to identify the scope per the mounts measurements and design.

Thanks

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
The set-up for the Marine sniper using a Unertl would have been similar to what yours shows. Obviously the barrel has been changed and Unertl type bases installed on the receiver and barrel. Back in the 60's and 70's, one had many choices for those type of scopes, Redfield and Unertl andFecker made scopes that all mounted on those type of bases. The scopes were relatively in-expensive and were all over the place. Those scopes did not have to have a precise spacing, and one could varie the distance between bases. With a 7" spacing one normally got quarter minute movement with each click. If the bases were a little farther apart, the movement was finer. Here are 2 photos of rifles I have where Unertl scopes were mounted, and you can see that spacing is not critical since the mounts can be slid or located almost anywhere within a reasonable distance.
Thus if you find one of those old scopes with those extertior "Posi" type mounts, they can be fitted to your rifle.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts