Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired a Springfield '03 that was re-furbed in WWII with a new HS barrel and a "new" stock. Stock is numbered to the receiver and shows some arsenal repairs (been through a war or two?), however, the stock is a "C" type pistol-grip stock. I read somewhere where this type stock was only used for "match-type" rifles during this era. Any input on this?

Thanks, --728shooter

·
Premium Member
5,286 Posts
How about some pictures ?? JR

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
IMHO, since it went through an arsenal rebuild and that stock was installed then, it's just as correct as the stock it was originally built with. The rifle was rebuilt while in service and returned to service as such, so it's an honorable veteran no matter what changes were made to it. I'd leave it as-is. It's not like the stock was sawed-off by some Bubba or replaced with an aftermarket stock after it was mustered out of service.

It's still a USGI rifle and a veteran, I'd honor it as such. I have a 1943 Inland M1 carbine like that, has an M2 stock on it from a rebuild, and most of the finish is gone off the metal. I could restore it to pristine condition, but I like it as it is, scars, scrapes, gouges and all. It's a vet of God Only Knows What, and it deserves my respect. It gets to go everywhere with me in my truck, in a USGI canvas M1 Carbine carry case, resting comfortably on the back seat.

Reactions: jwrauch

·
Registered
973 Posts
728, a stock numbered to a receiver is no doubt one of those Greek CMP returns that were sold a few years ago. The Greeks liked to do that. C-type 19o3 stocks started in the late 20s or early 30s, (can't remember just when,) but the production of them was ceased in WW2. Those unfinished ones were turned into the "semi-pistol gripped stocks," which required far less work to produce. Some C stocks were made by private contractors,however, mostly for replacement use, I think. These had a K cartouche on them. (My Springfield reference books are all down in the basement, and right now I can't break the suction off this chair.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts