Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a Springfield Armory 1903 30-06 that was in fantastic shape at a local shop going for $419. It didn't look 90+ years old at all! It also had a nice little 2.5X scope on it with a Echo(?) mount on it. The rifle had a 18" barrel. Anyone seen/heard of this?

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
seven wrote:
I saw a Springfield Armory 1903 30-06 that was in fantastic shape at a local shop going for $419. It didn't look 90+ years old at all! It also had a nice little 2.5X scope on it with a Echo(?) mount on it. The rifle had a 18" barrel. Anyone seen/heard of this?
The original design was in 1903...but the 1903 A3's and A4's were made new up through WWII. In fact, my 03A3 was made in June, 1943.

Seven...look at all of the identifying numbers and marks on your rifle and post what you find. We can tell you a whole lot more about your rifle with that kind of information. :nod:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Sounds like Bubba got there before you. They were all manufactured with a 24 inch barrel. It may have been an all original before Bubba got it, or it may have been a mixmaster of parts. Depending upon what you want it for, it might be restorable (if that is what you would like to do), or it may be beyond that. Yes, at distances less than 200 yards it would still be a viable hunting rifle for deer, but if you miss, you may not see another deer that day, because of the noise.

You should check the Serial Number, because any Springfield that is below Serial Number 800,000 is suspect for brittleness, and if it is under that number it usually is considered a "Wall Hanger", not a shooter. In the condition you describe it is nothing more than a shooter, and even here in California, an altered beyond restoring 1903 Springfield is usually worth about $150.00. Of course the scope and its mount have a value separate from the rifle. Unaltered it could be worth between $350.00 and $1,200.00, depending upon its original condition (not reconditioned condition).

I do not intend this to be an insult, but I classify any altered U. S. Military Rifle as being Bubbaized, if it is not close to original, and restorable. They are all that is left for us to appreciate that our fathers or forefathers used as the latest technological devices, of their day. Some of us used the current Curios and Relics in combat, and have an afinity for them in as close to original condition as possible, and since no more are being built, I see it as a shame when one is altered.

I have a problem with short barreled rifles, especially, because I have hearing problems, and short barreled rifles tend to aggravate that, even though I have always doubled up my hearing protection (now, I use plugs [rated at 33 db], and earmuffs [rated no less than 19 db]. The .30-06 cartridge was designed to be fired out of a 24 to 26 inch barrel, and if the barrel is any shorter than that, a lot of powder burns beyond the barrel, making a lot of unnecessary noise, and the bullet certainly will not reach the speed it was designed to go, and will not attain the energy level it was designed for.

By the way, that is not the same Springfield Armory as the one currently selling M1A's. The 1903 Springfield was manufactured at the Springfield Armory in Springfield, Massachussetts, which was a Government Armory that was closed in 1968.

http://www.nps.gov/spar/

On a chill Spring morning in 1968, amid speeches and farewell addresses, the men and women of Springfield Armory bid each other goodbye as the ‘Stars and Stripes’ were lowered for the last time. After nearly two centuries of continuous production of rifles and muskets used by America’s armed forces in every war in the nation’s history, the armory closed its gates and fell silent.

Begun as a major arsenal under the authority of General George Washington early in the Revolutionary War, the first national armory began manufacturing muskets in 1794. Within decades, Springfield Armory had perfected pioneering manufacturing methods that were critical to American industrialization.

Reopened in 1978 as the Springfield Armory National Historic Site, the original 1840’s arsenal houses the world’s largest collection of American military firearms. Year-round public programs, exhibits, and special events are hosted on the grounds of the National Historic Landmark.

-----------------------------------------------
The Springfield Armory in Geneseo, Illinois (commercial) originated in Texas under a different name, and manufactured M1A's with forged receivers, and was a business failure that was purchased by another group. It was moved within Texas at least one time, before making the move to Geneseo, Illinois, but before leaving Texas, I believe that they obtained the rights to use the name "Springfield Armory" from the U. S. Government. It is a good company that could be better!

`

1 - 3 of 3 Posts