Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my M1903a3 out to the range today for the first time. I wanted to zero it at 25yds. I put the rear sight windage to the middle of the scale, and fired 5 rounds to see where it would go. It was pretty much on the money. That would be the pic on the left. I was shooting from a bag sitting down. So, I decided to move the target out to 100 yds, which is as far as the indoor range I was at goes to. Now, I was lead to believe, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, that the point of impact at 25yds and the point of impact at 100 yds were supposed to be pretty close due to the arc of the bullet. Anyway, I shot the first group(picture on the right) and it was at the top of the target. The elevation on the rear sight was as low as it could go, which I believe is 100yds(battle sight). I was placing the top of the front sight on the middle of the bull. So, I decided to try holding the bull at the top of the front sight blade. That produced the second group on the picture on the right, which was a little lower, but still higher than the bullseye. I was shooting Federal 150 gr commercial ammo. Anybody have any ideas why I'm hitting so high on the target. I have the front sight cover on the rifle as well. Would using a heavier grain bullet help. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
alot of milsurp rifles have battle sights set @200 yds. i needed a taller front post for most of mine . hope this helps

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like the front sight blade came in 5 different heights, highest to lowest from A to E. The sight blade I have is the C, which is right in the middle. I guess I could get a taller front sight blade, which doesn't look all that hard to change. The only other issue would be that the sight blade on it now is awfully close to the sight cover, so a taller sight would be even closer if not hitting it. I realize the sight cover can come off, but I like it on there. I think the USMC made a taller front sight cover as well. We'll have to see what I can find at the next gun show.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They were to protect the front sight in combat. It's a metal cover that slips right over the front sight, and kind of makes it look like a M-44 or SKS sight picture.

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
is your sight cover bent? just guessing..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts