Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Welcome to the forum....
1904 . Is this a CCLE Mk1 ?
It's pretty hard to say without any knowledge of stamps and such. Maybe you can describe some of the stamps for us ?

Photo's would be great !

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
photos REALLY help identifying anything!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gday timberlord, as far as i can tell it is mark1 sht le rego 5764 ,has er and gr proof stamps 7 broad arrows ,letter H ,letter S,SA(which i think is South Australia)the letter S is inbetween broad arrows,there is another rego stamp above 5764,3431,,also a number 61 and F are also present sorry i cant print a photo as yet no camera shitty old computer.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Austrailia received these early LeeEnfields from Britian .

SA could be South Africa but in this case I'd say it's Aussie.

The S with arrows on either side shows it was sold to a private citizen prior to WW1.

Many of these rifles where "reinscripted" for use during WW1 .
Your rifle is likely one of these and they may also have new reissued serial / proof numbers and stamps.
The ER stamp is for Queen Elizabeth 1 and the GR is for King George.

Does it still have a the buttdisc ?
It sounds like you have a very historic Aussie issued rifle .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gday timberlord thanks for your info ,yes my rifle still has brass buttdisc with hole in center what was this for? my pop gave me this gun he said it was special but couldnt remember why, he passed away now ,it is rego under my name and still shoots straight.HVSC is present under sight which i think is recalibration stamp.do you know where i may be able to contact in aust about my enfield

·
Registered
557 Posts
Stamps on the disc should indicate who and where the rifle was issued.
Later , during WW1 these disc's where omitted because of too much info going to the enemy.
The HVSC stamp tells us that it's proofed for the "new" .303brit Mk Vll High Velocity ammo , which is pretty much the same today except with a different propellant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
no stamps on butt disc, also found another rego stamp above5764,3431 number 619. there are no stamps on wooden stock all on barrel

pop also gave me some ammo from ww2 still in their clips,were these carbine or gun powder pulled one apart has these white sticks in them have about a dozen

·
Registered
395 Posts
pop also gave me some ammo from ww2 still in their clips,were these carbine or gun powder pulled one apart has these white sticks in them have about a dozen
The Brits did use gunpowder made of sticks, so that's normal!

Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
there are no little *signs after the shtle 1 stamp and has same rego on bolt it has a 10 shot mag .trying to find out more info from diggers down the local rsl

·
Registered
83 Posts
your 1904 enfield

gday timberlord thanks for your info ,yes my rifle still has brass buttdisc with hole in center what was this for? my pop gave me this gun he said it was special but couldnt remember why, he passed away now ,it is rego under my name and still shoots straight.HVSC is present under sight which i think is recalibration stamp.do you know where i may be able to contact in aust about my enfield
G,DAY DODDY!!

MY NAME IS JOE FROM THE USA, IT SEEMS YOUR DESCRIBING A SIMILER ENFIELD I HAD NOT TOO LONG AGO, IT HAD MANY OF THE SAME MARKINGS, IT DID NOT SAY LONG BRANCH ON IT, BUT IT DID HAVE AN "SAA" MARK ON IT ITS THE MOST COMMON ENGLISH ARSENAL MARK, I BOUGHT IT THROUGH A FRIEND OF MINE, I ASKED HIM FOR AN AUSSIE ENFIELD AND ITS APPARENT THATS WHAT I HAD, IT HAD A BRASS BUTT PLATE AND THE LITTLE HOLE YOUR TALKING ABOUT SHOULD BE A LITTLE DOOR WITH A COMPARTMENT INSIDE THE STOCK, IT WAS USED FOR AN OILER, MINE WAS NOT A 1904 BUT AN SMLE, IT DOES CARRY SOME OF THE SAME FEATURES AND MAKINGS AS YOURS, MINE WAS BRITISH AND SENT TO OZ DURING WWI AND POSSABLY EVEN SAW GALIPOLI,IT HAD EXCESSIVE CHAMBER ISSUES AND SO I GOT RID OF IT. >> IM FRIENDS WITH A FEW BLOKES IN OZ, MAINLY IN NSW, I ALSO HAVE A MATE IN NZ, IM A CARTRIDGE COLLECTOR AND SELLER, I ALSO DEAL IN OLD AMMO PACKETS (PAPER BOXES), IM FRIENDS WITH ALAN PARKER THE SECRITARY OF THE NSW BRANCH OF THE ACCA AND MY MATE FROM NZ IS ROBIN BACK HE IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE ANTIQUE ARMS ASSC> HOPE THIS HELPS A LITTLE YOUR MATE >> T53JOE <<< CHEERS!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts