Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Just bought a 1911 Colt mfgd in 1918, in about 40% finish. The left side of the slide is worn, but the right side shows wear, but has readable serial #4552XX. I paid $500.00 along with the holster used by previous owner. I bought it from a very good gunshop, whom I trust. The action is tight, no wobble in the slide and the grip safety works. I am looking forward to shooting it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

John Krzos:usa:

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
it might pinch

one of the reasons for modification to the 1911-A1 was the fact that the grip safety often piched the web of the hand when recoil occurred. this was enough of a problem to start the movement to the 1911-A1 modification. so you might want to have a custom grip safety installed. also, many of the 1911's had very hard trigger pulls. again, you might want this looked into by someone who can install a custom trigger. i would put in a new mainspring, and if you can get it a new trigger spring.

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
If it has all original parts, you DON'T want to start swapping parts. If the serial number does not have a C letter prefix the gun is GI. Someone familiar with Colt GI's could tell you if all the right era parts are on them, or if the gun went thru rebuild. For example a 1918 would have a long trigger,flat mainspring housing, and wood grips. It would be worth about $900. If it has been altered, the price goes down depending on what was done.

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
Nice gun. The grips are not original, and neither is the magazine. The slide looks like it was 'sanitized' where the Colt logo and patent dates on the left side were removed. Not visable in the photo anyway.The United States Property markings can't be seen either. A nice .45 but with a much diminished collector value.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Springs might be an option plus . . . . .

You might want to put in new stainless steel
springs (note the grip spring is flat). Also,
if you are really interested you might have the gun cryo'd to remove any stress in the metal.
This is taking it down to 350 degrees F. below zero. If the barrel is worn you might want to consider a new barrel (possibly stainless).
The original guns often had a heavy trigger pull so you might want to see about some trigger work. A good firm such as you might find here can blue the gun for you.

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
or you could clean er up ,shoot it,and enjoy your new pistol! :)

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
You might want to put in new stainless steel
springs (note the grip spring is flat). Also,
if you are really interested you might have the gun cryo'd to remove any stress in the metal.
This is taking it down to 350 degrees F. below zero. If the barrel is worn you might want to consider a new barrel (possibly stainless).
The original guns often had a heavy trigger pull so you might want to see about some trigger work. A good firm such as you might find here can blue the gun for you.
You might want to shoot the gun and have fun.Whats all this "you might"stuff?Any bonified reason? sam.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
To Samuel on "you might . . . "

Well, it is a manner in which I was taught to communicate. You "might" simply implies an invited option for the reader to either accept or not accept a suggested course of action presented in the sentence. It is nothing more than a friendly statement and no one should feel it goes beyond that point.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Cryo treatment is a scam to part you from your money. Leave it alone. Have it checked by a gunsmith for basic safety, then shoot it and have fun.

For those who favor cryo treatment, please describe what "stress" it removes. I carry a 1911 that has had over 20,000 rounds through it with only spring replacement. The only cryo treatment it has had is being carried in a holster in North Dakota, Alaska, Nebraska, and Colorado winters.

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
Cryo treatment is a scam to part you from your money. Leave it alone. Have it checked by a gunsmith for basic safety, then shoot it and have fun.

For those who favor cryo treatment, please describe what "stress" it removes. I carry a 1911 that has had over 20,000 rounds through it with only spring replacement. The only cryo treatment it has had is being carried in a holster in North Dakota, Alaska, Nebraska, and Colorado winters.
oh...
in that case all of my guns have been cryo treated!
it's -12 right now not including windchill.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
to RFC397 on cryo

You might wish to observe some of the electron microscopy on molecular orientation in steel before and after cryo. Also, Benelli (Nova) has some high quality stop action photos on shot leaving a barrel showing the effects of cryo on barrels/screw in chokes. Cryo does work although it is not the only stress relief method in general practice. I suggest some web search and recommend contact with a major cryo firm as most of them have a great deal of documentation of the process. I do understand it is not readily observable to the general public.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'll believe in cryo treatment when I see an independent report showing a measureable improvement in some factor of performance. Sure the cryo people have a lot of documentation. They are trying to sell cryo!

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
For what you paid, you got a deal, enjoy and shoot the stuffing out it. If you can't hit with it then put in a new barrel but if it aint broke don't fix it.

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
throwing a ton of money at it before you even shoot the damn thing?

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you plan on shooting it, I'd recommend (at a minimum) putting in a new recoil spring. A spring from 1918 might not be adquate for slowing the rearward movement of the slide with modern ammo. Damage to the gun and/or shooter can result.

Otherwise, have fun!

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
have a smith take a peek at it and see.

myself....
i would clean it , shoot it and see if it needs anything

·
Registered
3 Posts

Find an old Sgt. who taught in AIT and ask him to take a look. Most gunsmiths don't know shit about 1911s. Go to the local VFW and find someone who used one in combat. He can make sure it works properly. Keep it oiled.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts