close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1911 compensator

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by lefty o, Mar 26, 2002.

1. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    heres a ? for one of the friendls smith's on this forum. just finishing up building my first 1911 race gun- one or two minor fitting issues left. i have a threaded barrel and a cone style compensator. now after i get my gun back from being plated, whats the best thing to use to secure the comp, loctite, epoxy? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. lefty, Thoroughly degrease the parts (I use acetone for this), and use red Loc-tite #271. If you have a very close thread fit, don't waste a lot of time screwing it in, cause it's going to start to set up on you and make it difficult to finish threading on. This type of Loc-tite is semi permanent, and you have to heat it to about 450 degrees to get it to break loose. Here's another tip - turn a "spud" from brass or aluminum to the minimum diameter of the bore, and insert it into the bore and through the exit hole of the comp while you're assembling, and leave it in while the Loc-tite sets up. This will keep your exit hole lined up with the bore of the barrel, and keep any mis-alignment from occuring, which could cause your bullets to "brush" the baffles in the comp and cause accuracy problems. Good Luck,

3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    thank you, thats pretty much what i was thinking but its nice to know from someone with a little more experience.