close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1911 Options

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Aug 9, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I just came back to my plan of getting a 1911 when I come of age, after leaning towards a Glock 35. My question for the day is which 1911s are decent and use interchangeable parts? I was inclined towards a Llama, but heard that they're not 100% interchangeable. Next question is whether there are under-barrel accessory rails available like on some Glocks and Berettas.

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Colt, Kimber, Springfield Armory, any of the big names. I stay away from Llamas just because I'm not familar with them and don't know ANYONE who has one.

3. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    on a budjet?
    Don't over look "Colt" Sistema or (Norinco (no longer sold new)

4. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

can find Springfield Mil Specs on sale now and then & those are good bases to start off with, even if you don't end up modifying it.

5. Rooster

Rooster G&G Newbie

Look into an Auto-Ordance 45. Its 1911A1 through and through. It can be had for less than 400 dollars and colt and other after market parts will work, anything that fits a colt will work on the Auto-Ordance. Its a plain jane 45 that can stay that way or be built up to a full race-gun. I've had one for 16-17 years is just fine. Shoots better than I can and didn't have to mortgage the farm to buy it.

6. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    If you want to 'soup it up' like everybody that reads this forum, you can't go wrong with an RIA. Around $300 and every single piece is interchangeable except for the actual grip screws. Unless you gotta have Stainless Steel, you can't beat that. We have have talked the RIA .45 to death on this forum and it still has a great rep. Get that, and do a little at a time, as you can afford it. I've always said a 1911 is a lifelong love (and maybe project). Good decision partner, I'm proud of you!

7. GARY D

GARY D G&G Newbie

I agree the Rock Island Armory is a good inexpensive gun. Tough steel too. I KNOW! I have 2, one is engraved and one is not and as far as the grip screws, go I make grip screws to fit the RIA guns. I have black or stainless button head and black or stainless pan heads. Take a look

[​IMG]

8. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Gary, We will be talking. Excellent!

9. I would stick witht the Springfield. The quality is guaranteed to be there and plus they come fuly loaded with all the bells and whistles.

10. BattleRifleG3

Any with an underbarrel rail? Or is that considered sacrelidge?

11. BattleRifle, The only current one I know of is the Springfield. You can get either MilSpec or Loaded models, and they come with the rail built into the frame. Caspian Arms makes an accesory rail that should fit any 1911 frame, and attaches to the dust cover with 2 or 3 screws, and is a quality piece.

12. BattleRifleG3

Know where I can find info on the Caspian Arms rail?

13. BattleRifle, Sure: Caspian Arms, 14 N. Main St., Hardwick, VT 05843. (802) 472 6454, ask for Gary Smith. Or: www.caspianarmsltd.8m.com. Hope this helps.

14. One Eye

One Eye G&G Newbie

Whats te cheapest/best way to get some decent sights on my Sistema?
    Thanks

15. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Battle, get the h e ll away from LLama! Kimber or Springfield all the way!

16. One Eye, There are a flock of different sights for the 1911, and any sights that will fit the Colt will fit your Sistema. Cheapest would be something that's designed to go in the original sight locations without mill work or the required refinishing. Check the Brownells catalog if you have one, or try Kings, Wilsons, or MGW for different styles.

17. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    BattleRifleG3 - The Ballester Molina is not interchangeable with the standard M1911 or M1911-A1, but every one of them I have seen or shot has been very accurate, as received.

Just another option for some one who wants a good shooter. They will take a beating, and many of them look like they were kicked around in a war already, so you don't mind dinging them up. The're not pretty, but they shoot very well.

18. TKH

TKH G&G Newbie

Would have to agree with the gentleman from Texas. Go with Kimber or Springfield. I own 3 Colts, 2 Kimbers, and a Para. Go with the Kimber! Kimber is rumored to be making a light-rail pistol next year, we'll see. Dawson precision makes a neat little light mount for the steel frame 1911's. My Para is on the way to them for that. (www.dawsonprecision.com) I like inexpensive guns as much as the next guy, but I've learned the hard way that especially with the 1911's, you really get what you pay for. Save a little longer in the first place, buy the best one you can, and you won't regret it.

19. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

such a promising young man..what went wrong ? :target:

20. BattleRifleG3

I picked up GunGeek's Para Ordnance P14-45 today and shot as accurately as I later shot my carry gun. A great compliment to its natural inclination to accurate shooting. His neighbor visited and said the same, and that its shape and weight were excellent for repeat shots.

Rest assured, I will get a 1911 some day. But I must say that being impressed as I am with my Steyr has delayed it.