1917 project

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Gib, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Gib

Gib Guest

I just finished up a 1917 that I had purchased some time ago. The barrel and stock were cut down but the rear sight ears and receiver were "as issued". I managed to find a replacement stock and handguards plus the metal. I also found a new JA barrel. The handguards were new birch replacements so I found a birch replacement stock to match. It it turns out it was new unissued wood. That was a pleasant surprise. The new wood and new barrel look good and from the limited amount of shooting I did so far it shoots very good. I did the barrel work and finish reamed the chamber for headspace myself. All in all a very interesting project and rifle too.

Gib

2. Gib

Gib Guest

Update

I found another M1917 in about the same condition as the Rem. It was an Eddystone that was in good shape. The barrel and stock were cut down but the rear sight ears were not touched. Since I picked up some extra parts during my parts searches for the Remington, the only thing needed was a barrel. I found a used Eddystone barrel and began the project. The rifle has now been restored to the original config. This one looks good and shoots well also. It's a keeper.

3. wes

wes Guest

Sounds fun. I have an orginal Eddy,with exception of "K" bolt. Also have a Rem. that was cut-down,still has un-touched receiver. Where did ya find your parts,and how much for stuff?

4. Gib

Gib Guest

M17 project

I purchased most of the parts from Numrich and Springfield Sporters. The hardest to locate was the barrels and I kinda got lucky on that. It took me several months to gather up all the parts. Like I said I originaly started to restore a Remington and in the process found an Eddystone that I couldn't pass up. I ended up doing 2 rifles. They both turned out well with the Remington being the nicest of the two. Of course the Eddystone isn't too shabby either. Cost was with average that you would expect for the metal parts. The wood was next around $35.00 for each stock. The barrels were from $25.00 to $100.00

Gib

5. Hakimer

Hakimer Guest

remington/eddystone

Gib;
    You do realize that the eddystone is actually a remington made in the eddystone plant. here is the quote that I drew the info from..
    "With the outbreak of WWI, the War Office decided both to continue production of the SMLE and to commence production of the new rifle--but in .303 British caliber. In October 1914, the .303 Pattern 1914 Rifle was approved. A contract was let to Vickers, Ltd. for 100,000 rifles. Vickers had difficulty getting into production, however, and other British rifle factories were tied up with SMLE production, so the War Office approached the American firms of Winchester Repeating Arms Co. and Remington Arms/Union Metallic Cartridge Co. to manufacture the P-14. Production began in January 1916.

Winchester manufactured the P-14 at its New Haven, Connecticut plant. Remington/Union manufactured the P-14 at its Ilion, New York plant and also purchased a half-finished locomotive factory in Eddystone, Pennsylvania through its subsiderary, the Remington Arms Co. of Deleware. This factory became known informally as the “Eddystone Arsenal.†In the rush to get arms to the British, each factory operated independently in making design improvements. This led to some parts incompatability, so in June 1916, three separate models were approved: the Pattern 1914 Mk I E (manufactured by Eddystone), the Pattern 1914 Mk I R (manufactured by Remington), and the Pattern 1914 Mk I W (manufactured by Winchester).

In December 1916, a new bolt with a longer locking lug was approved. Rifles fitted with the new bolt are designated the Mk I* E, the Mk I* R, and the Mk I* W.

By April 1917, the manufacture of 1.2 million P-14 rifles for the British was nearing completion. An additional 100,000 had been sent to India. With the U.S. entry into WWI on April 6th, the need for additional American rifles was acute, and both Remington and Winchester offered to design a .30-06 caliber version of the Pattern 1914 and retool for its manufacture. The rifle became the U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, Model of 1917, with production beginning in the summer of 1917.

By the fall of 1917, the need for a British sniper rifle was apparent. A new backsight was developed which had a micrometer adjustment for elevation. In November 1917 this backsight was approved for installation on Winchester-made P-14 rifles, the Winchesters having proven more dependable and more accurate than the others. Rifles with the fine adjustment backsight became known as the Mk I W (F) and Mk I* W (F), the “F†indicating “fine adjustment.†In April 1918, a scope-sighted model was approved. Again, only Winchester-made P-14s were fitted with scopes. These are designated the Mk I* W (T), the “T†indicating “telescopic sight."

After WWI, both the P-14 and the M1917 were relegated to substitute standard or reserve status, with significant quantities of P-14s being sent to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. Nearly 700,000 P-14 rifles and over a million M1917 rifles were put storage.

In 1926, the Pattern 1914 rifles were redesignated as the Rifle No. 3 Mk I, the Rifle No. 3 Mk I*, with both the (F) and (T) models carrying the Rifle No. 3 designation as well.

In 1939, the British government began removing P-14 rifles from stores and returning them to service status, as specified in the Weedon Repair Standard (WRS). Work was done at RSAF - Enfield and at a number of private firms, including B.S.A., Purdy, Greener, Holland & Holland, and Paker Hale. Rifles were de-greased and inspected, and the long range volley sights were removed. A number of new stocks were manufactured as well, the new stocks not having inletting for the volley sight dial. Rifles equipped with these stocks are designated the Rifle No. 3 Mk II, although all rifles converted to WRS specifications are sometimes referred to as Mk II rifles.

In 1941, a quantity of P-14 (No. 3) rifles were fitted with Aldis scopes, utilizing a low side mount. The low mount required that the sight protector “ears†on the receiver be milled off. In addition, a wood cheekrest (similar to that of the No. 4 “T-Model†rifle) were attached to the buttstock. This rifle was designated the No. 3 Mk I* (T) A, the “A†designating “Aldis.â€

Also in 1941, the American government began removing M1917 rifles from stores and returning them to service status. Over 100,000 M1917 rifles were shipped to England, for use by the Home Guard; another 152,000 were sent to China; and 40,000 were sent to other allies. The remainder were issued to U.S. troops.

In 1944 and 1945, large numbers of P-14s and lesser numbers of M1917s were provided to the resistance fighters of the Free French and the Free Dutch. Following WWII, Great Britain send a large number of P-14 rifles to Greece, as well. The “American Enfields†have been observed in Palestine in the 1960s, in Pakistan and Angola in the 1970s, and in Afghanistan in the 1980s; and sporterized P-14s and M1917s are currently used for hunting the world over."
    Don

Attached Files:

6. Gib

Gib Guest

Thanks for the additional info.