Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a beautiful Browning A-5 shotgun..12 gauge recoil operated (wonder how hard it kicks ?) made in Belgium in 1957..kind of expensive..but looks like it's worth it :hmmm:

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Don't know about the 12 Ga but I've got the Browning Sweet 16...and it's kick isn't bad. Of course, it's recoil operated and holds five in the mag, too. Bought it used in 1961 for $100.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
30 inch barrel..full choke..beautiful antique :hmmm: could take it deer or turkey hunting

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Couldn't get any better. Have 2 and one is worn down to where it is silver from many trips in the marsh. KicK? Not any different then any other semiauto 12ga.

Was my first gun and I have hunted all kinds of birds and deer. I could not tell you how many shells have gone through that gun, but if I was to make an educated guess it would be 1/2 million shells. I have two barrels, a full that came with the gun and modified. I have had to replace the wood once on the older one, it was just worn out and split, repaired, split and repaired again. Killed my first deer with it.

About 6 yrs. ago the firing pin broke and created an unsafe condition. Bought a new one and put in without any problems. That has been the only mechanical problem what so ever.

One thing I would point out is don't press the bolt release without the barrel being in place. It dings the receiver.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,839 Posts
my first gun too. long story why I still don't have it. John Browning design, say more?

A beautiful shotgun.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Logansdad said:
it costs almost as much as a brand new Wingmaster :hmmm:
Apples and oranges there. A5s are very collectable as well as being a fine firearm. Belgian made are more sought after by the guys I deal with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not apples and oranges..$450 isn't very far from $550 :hmmm: at least not as far as I'm concerned

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Logansdad, Sorry, I meant the difference between the guns, not the money All things being equal, I would choos the A5 personally.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
That sounds like a good investment. :nod: You won't be sorry...because you can always get your money back if you choose to sell it later. Prices of those old Browning's keep increasing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Humpbacks! Not whales !!!!it!

If it's in good condition, it's still a weapon you can pass to your grand children. I cut my teeth on an A-5, and I own at least a couple of dozen. Regardless of the fads, I still hunt with my humpbacks, and I've never gotten a bruise I didn't ask for. God bless John M. Browning, and I'll shoot them tilll thr day I die!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I own a grade 3 sweet 16 that I bought years ago for a $100.00 and have added 3 barrels. too bad no one is making 3" mags in 16. I would have the reamer tomorrow.The orig barrel was 16/60 and no import marks.but was reamed to 16/70 which is 2 3/4" background was built in the 30s and more than likely brought back during the war. very nice piece.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,839 Posts
The model 11's Iv'e seen have been nicely built :right:

Oh, I foregot, yes they do recoil a bit heavier, than compared to a gas gun. Also have to remember to change friction rings between heavy and light loads. This is frought with controversy in itself. Some claim you can cycle the light loads with a heavy set up. I'd not reccomend the other way around.

My dad's will shoot soup cans at 50 yards with the standard barrel with BRI slugs. It is definitely a gun you use a can of gun scrubber on to clean the action. I would be leary about taking it all the way apart & I'm fairly mechanically inclined. Mabe I haven't studied it enough, but on the surface it looks tricky.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
You will have started a LOVE fest for life. Each time you use it you will wish you had not waited so long. The BROWNING design is tops even if it was designed a 100 yrs ago.

DANA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Logansdad said:
I saw a beautiful Browning A-5 shotgun..12 gauge recoil operated (wonder how hard it kicks ?) made in Belgium in 1957..kind of expensive..but looks like it's worth it :hmmm:
it is beautifully made..the patina is pretty..almost like faint case coloring..wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts