1983 October 23 - Marine Barracks in Beirut truck bombed, with 241 killed and 80 woun

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips Guest

1983 October 23 - Marine Barracks in Beirut truck bombed, with 241 killed and 80 wounded.

19 yrs ago....I had left Beriut for RR in Eqypt friday night....I was on the bridge of the USS Austin that sunday morning...a few min from accoring the ship (I spent my free time on ship working with the QMs)....QM2 Sheifeld at the helm....Chief Frost at the chart table....Capt. Olds? came to the bridge and announced that were were going back....that the building I had lived in....that most of my company was in when I left Friday night....was now a pile of rubble...that the most of my company H&S Company 1st batalion 8th marines...and my platoon STA were dead or wounded...

Strange how such an event in history...to the particapents seems so large...so life changeing....and yet when viewed through the scope of time....seem so minor..so fleeing....Im sure lots of vetrans can recall firefights..offensives that to them and thouse with them was like Beriut...big to use....small to the world.

But at times like this I like to reflect back...to realize that we are free today..for now....because people...of all races..creeds...religiouns...went forth and gave their life for Our country.

2. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Roger that man......roger that.....1*

3. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    You were spared for a purpose.
    Thanks for sharing. In '83 I was DEP for the AF. I rememnber that like it was yesterday.