close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

2 MOA Dot scope advice pls

Discussion in 'Optics' started by Rocky7, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    I am thinking about putting one of these on my Mini-14. Maybe a Holosun. The Mini only shoots to around 2moa on a good day, 3-4 moa on a bad day so it seems like a waste using a traditional optic.

Thing is, my eyes need a side focus/side parallax adjustment. I haven't seen one of these red dot scopes with a parallax adjustment and am wondering why not? I can't be the only guy with older eyes.

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA

Not enough distance normally involved for parallax. The vid explains the fuzzy dot possibility well thought.

TXplt, EtherialOne and austinjoe13 like this.

3. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    Thanks for the links. I don't have a astigmatism so the first one wasn't much help. Yeah, it seems like magic to me, but I guess it it works, it works!

jerry likes this.
  4. I need to load some ammo for this.
    Seems like it would be great for shooting clanger at 100+ yards.
    The Bushnell holo came on another gun I bought a while back FB_IMG_1515236323535.jpg FB_IMG_1515236314369.jpg

TXplt, Rocky7 and jerry like this.
  5. jerry

USA
    For the intended purpose of a red dot, it may be a nothing burger?

Parallax Free” isn’t.
    Dave Merrill

As with many things we write about here, it all stemmed from a Facebook post. It went something like this:

“I really want an MRO, but Trijicon says it has some parallax. Why can’t they make it parallax free like everyone else?”

Why, indeed.

http://www.breachbangclear.com/parallax-free-isnt/

TXplt and Rocky7 like this.
  6. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    Aside from the parallax question, does the dot always appear in focus at all ranges? That is the main reason I use side focus rifle scopes - to sharpen the reticle at all distances. I'd never go back to using scopes without that adjustment.

7. jerry

USA
    The dot will be in focus. The longer the range, the more it will cover the target, much like your front sight.

I can’t really say parallax is a dead ringer non issue basically because everyone’s eyes are different as well as expectations.

If any doubts, it may be good to look through one in a shop or shoot a friends before committing.

I’m actually thinking about leaning to etched reticles going forward. If illumination is lost, there is still a sight. Will this have an effect with parallax opposed to a dot?

TXplt likes this.
  8. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    No worries there. The best the Mini can do is 2 moa so all I'm covering is the size of the group it will shoot anyway.

jerry likes this.
  9. jerry

USA
    It should be pretty fun to shoot set up like that.

10. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    I'm going to give a go when I find a good used sight. I'll let you know.
    Thx again for the advice, everyone.

11. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Yeah...it can. I notice some parallax error in my spitfire compared with the true dots or the EoTech. It usually crops up when I don't have a good cheek weld or when I'm shooting at long ranges and my focus changes to try to knats a$$ things rather than keeping focus on the target (so it's not much and not that bad but CAN be there). Then again, like you said, ALL of these can be subject to SOME parallax error depending on where you are shooting it from and where the target is. Some more than others; there is no such thing as 'parallax free' -- more like a 'not enough to matter'.

Of ALL the sights I've used the EoTech is probably the most forgiving but for very long range shooting can encounter thermal drift (not that big a deal for closer in stuff). FWIW I've not noticed any real problems when the conditions I'm shooting under are similar to those under which the rifle was zeroed. I REALLY like the EoTech reticle though which for me has been fantastic. The Spitfire reticle comes in a close second as far as close in stuff. For magnified it's the ACOG with an honorable mention to the Primary Arms 5x sight (which is much cheaper and has the cool ACSS reticle; with the horseshoe ACOG I'm using more kentucky windage for wind drift based on the dot/horseshoe gap size).

If you don't have usable back up sights an etched reticle of some sort is an excellent idea.

To the OP, I've mounted a Trijicon RMR on my mini-14 (triangle type bi-illum) and it's worked excellent. Now it's primarily a day use rifle and the RMR can get washout if you're in a situation where you have a very close and brightly illuminated target in a dark room. But for day use or night shooting at more conventional 'rifle' distances it works great. It's REALLY quick; I've zeroed it such that the tip of the apex gives me a 50 yard zero which makes triangle on at 25-ish and closer ranges perfect (and also allows longer distance precise shooting). After doing the running and gunning type of stuff it's really quick although you DO have to get used to it.

jerry and Rocky7 like this.