close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

20 gauge vs 16 gauge

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

hidden in the shadows of the 12 gauge are the 20 & 16 gauges....there are others...but these are the ones I'm curious about ? Any comments ?:assult: :nod:

2. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

I have used the 16 & 20 hunting and to me they are about the same the 20ga is a little more popular but one does not out shine the other in my book.

3. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I use a 12 primarily, I like my 16 a lot. the 16 is making a comeback if not holding ground. The major significant event in any advantage of the 20 over the 16 is the 20's 3 inch capability. you can get close to 2 3/4" 12 ga payload in a 20ga 3" shell. A nimble 20 makes for a good Duck pot hole or timber gun in some cases. My son uses his 20 with Winchester 3" # 3's for ducks. When at standard loads, If gun weight isn't a concern, I give the 16 the edge. I have old duck (lead) loads for my 16 ~1 1/4 oz that are wicked on pheasant. Good for those tree rats way up in the foliage too.
    Not to ramble on~~~ but the 20 is a bit easier to get reloading stuff for too. Yes the 16 can be relaoded, but components are harder to find easily. It realy boils down to what tool fits the job.

4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

You can practically shoot a 20 all day long with out a sore shoulder and have fun doing it. I've never shot a 16 but would like to some day just to say i have.

5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I used a Noble 20 gauge all thru my formative years, for squirrel and the occasional duck. I still have it. Dad ordered it back when Sears&Roebuck could still send guns through the mail to anybody. Years later, I had the chance to order my own shotgun from a dealer, and chose the 16 gauge Remington 870 with 30" non-ventrib barrel and full-choke. Great squirrel gun - and put a lot of bushy-tails on the table. I still have it, too. I don't sell 'em, just keep getting more. Hard to say which I like better, though I'd be more likely to take to the field with the 16. Shells are a little scarcer, but when I find them, I stock up.
    I like these smaller guns so much for hunting, my only 12 gauge is strictly a home-defense type. There's nothing I can't hunt here with a 20 or 16 gauge.

6. The 12 ga. is the most versatile IMHO but having to choose between 16 and 20 I would take the 20. As noted above, the shells for the 16 are hard to find and a bit pricey. The 20 ga. is much lighter and can do most jobs at hand very well. If you find that you are undergunned with the 20 ga. in a certain situation, chances are you probably needed a 12 ga. anyway. My choose would be 12 ga. with light field loads... in fact get a 3.5" and you could use it for anything!:)

7. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I have a 12 gauge...I wanted another shotgun in a different caliber. Looks like it'll be a 20 gauge.

8. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I found out that the 16 gauge is exactly in the middle between 12 gauge & 20 gauge...kind of obvious...but I'm new to shotguns...based on that the 16 gauge deserves to be far more popular than it is...

9. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    OK,
    You new guys who are 16ga fans belly up!

10. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I wouldn't trade my Browning 16 Ga Sweet Sixteen for anything. Well....may something...but it's not for sale. It's at least in 90% condition and it's cash value has multiplied many times from the $100 I paid for it in 1961. Besides that, it's a beauty in my gun cabinet.
    Now as far as pointing out merits of the 20 ga over the 16 ga, I'll leave that for others. As I see it, they each have their pro's and con's, depending upon their useage.

11. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Elvis liked those Browning Auto 5 shotguns :right:

12. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    the 16 is a great shell, i wont give mine up. the 20 has it beat in one category only- shell availabilty and price.