Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of a Savage 16FSS in 204 as a new calling rifle. I need more versatility to be able to shoot bobcat, fox , or coyote with little fur damage. My 223 just isn't working out as a good all around calling cartridge for a fur hunter. Thought of a 17 rem but there is not a lot of selection up here.....some mail-order catalogues list them but none in stock. Does anyone have any experience with this caliber(204) on fox and bobcat.....specifically on fur damage?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
While the .204 may be a little easier on fur,I know from experience the .223 with 35-40gr vmax is about as good as you can get.My experience is to sew pelts up before stretching so they stretch right.The only time I get docked is when the hole is in the upper half.I dont own one but what I have seen the .204 is great wirh 40gr bullets,but so is the .223.I use a .22 hornet with 40 gr vmax at 2800fps and never try a shot over 150yds.The reason is noise,but I just never have pelt damage.I seldom did with the same bullet in a .223 at 3600fps and not shooting beyond 250yds.This is shooting for double lungs in the lower half.But if they break through,I know I am going to do some stitching. samuel.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You make a very good point about the 223. I've used 40gr BT's in both 222 and 223 with pretty good success. Now before you ask why I bothered to ask my question....I guess I'm trying to find that magical, perfect cartridge/bullet combination. But the more I research, the more I'm coming to understand that although a few cartridges are a little better than others.....it all really comes down to shot placement. I just read a post on another well known site that advocates the 17 rem for predators and the poster...a very experienced "career" coyote hunter....praises the 17 rem but yet goes on to say that he passes on the 'yotes that don't offer him a prefect broadside shot. So his success rate of about 96% zero exits in mainly due to shot placement. So I guess I'll think some more and decide on a new caliber just to break the monotony of always lugging around the 223.

If anyone else has any experiences with ANY varmint cartridge/bullet combo and fur damage....feel free to post away.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It is a great flat shooting gun and works wonders on all varmints. I havent had any problems with fur damage with mine. I would say just stay away from ballistic tips.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I really don't know if a .204 will be any better or worse than a .223 as far as fur damage goes. One thing for certian is that a .204 ruger bullets will cost you more. Samuel hit it right when he said 35-40 grain V-max, they explode quick, usually never exiting. If those loads don't work well, I dont know what will.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts