.204 ruger or .223 remington?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by nc.hunter, May 24, 2008.

1. Hey guys, I am looking at maybe getting a varmint rifle to shoot some coyotes around my neighbors cow/goat farm. I have narrowed it down to either getting a .204 or a .223, my local walmart has both calibers in H&R single shots for about 260 dollars. Ammo is also about the same cost . Which of the 2 have more killing power? What is the max range of a .204 and a .223, So which one would you get?

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    either work well.

3. sell33

sell33 G&G Newbie

i would go 204. Range is probably similar but i would say 204 is flatter further. Get a 204. i would anyway.

that sounds dumb lol i guess since i say 204 is flatter further it has more range....without holdover anyway

4. My gut feel without crunching the numbers is that the .223 rem would be the better choice. It is a great cartridge.

Ron

5. O.K., here are some thoughts . . .

. . . to consider. The market is totally saturated with cartridges that often overlap in performance.

The .223 is established and ammo will be made for decades.

The .204 is a very new cartridge that may or may not last in this market. Also, it is not widely chambered by other manufacturers.

A .204 rifle may be a good rifle with very pricey ammo in a few years.

So, I would go with the .223 as it is good for your pupose and established in the market.

6. telkev

telkev G&G Newbie

If you do not reload, the 223 is the best choice by far. Everybody makes 223 ammo with many different bullet choices. The 204 is limited in ammo makers and is more expensive. And I always like getting more bang for the buck!

7. killer

killer G&G Newbie

Yes...223 would be my vote too due to the heavier and or multiple choices of different bullets.

The wind starts to effect my .223's past 250 yards, and due to the lighter bullets with the .204 I would say it's going to effect them a tad sooner. But I have no experience with the .204 caliber.

All ammo has gone up so much is the past year I would say stay with the older round and stock up with some cheap full metal jacket stuff for zombies. At least availability has opened up this spring on the .223. Just 4-5 months ago it seemed to get scarce for awhile.

8. riverrat

riverrat G&G Newbie

I prefer the 204. Its a great cartridge.

9. I'd have to also say go for/with .223. You know what though, hell, just go and buy one of each. Then you won't/don't have to choose. lol

10. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

From personal experience the .204 will give you just about the same balistics as the .22-250,and the same difference between it and a .223.The .204 has an advantage at 300yds and beyond on varmints over the .223.

11. I agree with Sam that there is a ballistical advantage to the .204 Ruger. However there is a price in barrel life -- as there almost always is the case for performance. The formula I have estimates 3600 rounds for the .223 vs 1500 for the .204 Ruger. Another barrel life be dammed choice is the .223 WSSM. It is even hotter, and can get heavier bullets up to the same speed as the Ruger. Barrel life however is likely sub 1000 rounds, and there is some concern that the cartridge may not survive given the early barrel burning reputation.

Then if you really don't have an issue with replacing the barrel or don't plan to shoot it that much, then there is no reason not to go with one of the true "hot rods".

Ron

12. wily1

wily1 G&G Addict Forum Contributor

They are both great rounds but I went with the .223 just for availability of ammo and variety. I reload but if I had to buy .223 ammo off the shelf, there doesn't seem to be a shortage around here. The two gun shops in Brandon have a good selection, Canadian Tire and even the hardware stores in the smaller towns around here seem to have .223 in stock. (Although while buying .22 and .22 mag ammo I noticed Canadian Tire didn't have .223 for a couple of months)

13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I apreciate your post and read them,but you have me curious.Do you own or have knowledge of any rifles That utilise any hv cartridges and if so,do you ever shoot them.How many barrels have you actually either 'burned out,or know of being 'burned out'?In the meantime,I will be out shooting hv cartridges and having a lot of fun while you post these articles about 'burning barrels' and dreading the purchase of buying a hv chamber because it 'might'burn out.Of course they might burn out,but I am going to have a lot of fun before they do 'burn'. sam.

14. soonerborn

soonerborn G&G Newbie

Hmmm...I dunno about this. Nothing I have ever seen has said the barrel life for either of these rounds is that low.

15. Here is a an article to read written by somehone a lot more qualified than I am. You can try the formula yourself.

Barrel life (Bart Bobbitt)

Sam, I currently own 4 rifles, and two of them are .264 WM's. One is on the second barrel, and the other is probably getting close to the end of life. Both hunting guns so I only punch paper occasionally.

Let me ask you a question. What qualifies you to keep saying barrel life is not a problem? I don't think anyone really questions that centerfire rifles have a relatively short barrel life compared to the 100,000-300,000 you get from lead bullets in a rimfire. However, you seem to insist on questioning that barrel burning is real? Is this just based on your personal experience or have you researched or talked to benchrest shooters that put thousands of rounds through their guns in a year? Those are the people I trust, as they have first hand experience and they get it in a hurry.

On the same subject I earlier posted an article including a graph of accuracy vs rounds shot for the 22-250 and the 223 WSSM. Browning authored the article and I presume did the testing. It is obviously in their interest to show as long a barrel life as possible, because they have had a lot of complaints about life of the .223 WSSM. Those graphs are not pretty -- even with chrome plated barrels. Are you suggesting that Browning are making their guns look bad on purpose? What I have heard from actual owners is that they do not last as long as those graphs suggest, and they have discontinued the cartridge offering.

I fully understand your point of view that wearing out the barrel is just a price of shooting and not to lose sleep over. I have those 264's and sleep well. However where I think we disagree is denial that there is an issue with some rifles burning barrels faster than others. I believe it is without question real, and something to consider when you buy a new gun. Perhaps this is an issue we will have to agree to disagree about. I will continue to flag it when someone short lists a barrel burner. I think they need to buy the gun with their eyes wide open. I would not feel good about recommending a .264 to someone without warning them about the issue. Not ethical.

Ron

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  16. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Barrel life is only a problem on paper.You say you talked with benchresters,I have too,hundreds of them,and they speak of barrel life like auto owners speak of odometer readings,often ancious to get to the next barrel.You must have thought what they were saying about barrel life worried them.I can assure you it doesn't.They are always ready to move on and maybe find that one perfect barrel. No,barrel burning is no problem for me.Commonly they can be pushed into the high numbers by moving the chamber forward,life can be extended by watching temp,and not overcleaning.But altho I will always top 2500rds and usually run in the 3000rd range or much better,if I knew I were only going to get 500rds I still would not deny myself the enjoyment and pleasure of indulging in shooting a certain cartridge no matter how many warnings you,who get pleasure from posting doom and gloom, and the experts that get paid to post it,print.Once again,I state barrel burning is not a problem,like anything else,it is an eventuality,to be delt with,if and when it happens,not dreaded and feared. sam.

An aside on this barrel burning,If you want to really talk 'barrel burning' check on the bigbore elephant guns which with their heavy,large bullets and massive powder consumption,usually burn out in 1000rds or less.They are considered a lifetime barrel and only last a fraction of the wear time of the .30and under cal.that are called (shudder)"BARREL BURNERS". sam.

Last edited: May 26, 2008