Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help here. I have a 204 Ruger and I bought some 30gr Berger bullets for it. I can't seem to find any reloading data for this combo. Anyone loading for 204 Ruger? Any info at all will be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Put reloading on your search bar,go to the Hodgson Powder page.There you will see a search bar that says reloading data.Put .204 Ruger on that and the next page has hodgson,IMR and such.Poke up what powder you have and it will give the load charts.If you have a 30gr bullet use the 32gr load.As long as a chart is for a heavier bullet than you are using it is ok because heavier bullets take less powder and lighter bullets take more powder to get equal pressure.There would be a slightly lower pressure using a 32gr chart for a 30gr bullet but so slight you wont notice.I use a 40gr vmax in a 1in9 twist 26" barrel at 3900fps+ and it is really a long range setup.(out to 500yds.)I didnt get the accuracy with the lighter bullets but maybe your Berger,s will work better. sam.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sam. That is what I was thinking of doing. Using the 32gr. data, I don't see any reason why it won't work. I have a CZ 527 American. I am not sure what the twist is, but I wasn't impressed with the 40gr Noslers. I was thinking the twist may not be thight enough to handle the heavier bullets so I got the Berger 30gr. I think Berger makes a 35gr. Should try that too. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I too have the CZ 527 Amercian. Mine shoots the 40gr Noslers just fine. They were factory loads though. I have bought a set of dies recently and am planning on loading as soon as I get a chance. Let us know how the 30s turn out.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure thing palladin I will let you know how they work out. I tried Hornady 40gr factory. but wasn't impressed with the groups. Just over 1" at 100yd. I'm looking for 1/2" or better. I think this set up is capable. What kind of groups did you get? Maybe I'm being too picky.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I finally made it out to the rang with those 30 gr Berger bullets and they really tightened the group up for me. Maybe 3/4 ". I still need to play around with them a bit but first impression was good. Another member at the range told me this gun likes the 32 Hornady. I will try them next.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
rdale,
The 40grs shot just under 1/2" out of the rifle. I was using a shooting rest and the planets were aligned just right. lol. I had better success with the 32grs from the factory, well more consitent groups anyways.
What powder,primer, etc did you use? I just loaded a few 32gr Serria blitzking with 28.8grs of Varget and Federal GM 205 Match primers. I also loaded some 40gr Hornandy with 27.8grs of Varget as well as a few with 29.8grs of H335. I am trying a few different loads to see what shoots the best.
Will let you guys know how they turn out.
Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts