22-250 problem

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by hornet lover, May 14, 2008.

1. hornet lover

hornet lover Guest

my mate has a howa in 22-250, it shoots a 4'' group at 100yds with factory pmc ammo, i started loading a few rounds for it useing adi 2206h and a 50g blitzking ballistic tip, i have gone up and down the powder specs loading everything from the starting load to the max and it wont shoot any better than a 5'' group at 100yds what else can i try they are seated .030 thou from the rifleing.what else can i try????

2. I would check your scope and mounts first,then check your muzzle/crown isnt damaged.Then check ammo.If you want to try some other loads let me know i have been loading for 22/250 for a long time.

I am using nosler 55gn balistic tips and BM2 powder.What load have you tried with 2206h?Do you know what barrel twist it is?1/12 or 1/14?
    4 inch groups are a problem.Another thing to think about is i dont know how experienced the shooter is?Is the rifle doing the same with more than one shooter?

Last edited: May 14, 2008

3. hornet lover

hornet lover Guest

i've shot the rifle and still cant get it any better, the scope is a nikko nighteater platnum model, i've tried 34g, 34.4g, 34.8g, 35.4g and max at 36g, the later two did close the group in to about 4'', the muzzle is fine, would it have any thing to do with the bedding on the stock, or there lack of, the barrel hits the fore arm, so its not fully floating,

4. Is it timber or synthetic stocked?Also what is the history of this rifle?Is it new,old or bought second hand and you have only just got it and it has never shot any good?Did it ever shoot any good?

5. hornet lover

hornet lover Guest

synthetic stock, its a 1500 model he brought it new, and its only had 60-80 rounds through it, i cant tell you much more than that mate he brought it and didnt tell me, he said it never shot real good,

6. If its a new rifle i would take it back.Its unusual for a howa to not shoot well.They are good out of the box.Take it back to where it was bought.

It should shoot inch or under with factory ammo.

7. Farmer

Farmer G&G Regular

Hi,
    My mate has a 1500 in 250 he shoots here and it consistantly shoots sub-moa.

Again check your scope and mounts, even try another set, if still bad return to olin fro a look.

8. hornet lover

hornet lover Guest

he has had it for six months or so now, would the stock touching the barrel make a difference, should i try a differant projectile or powder, ill change the scope and mounts to see if that makes a difference, is there anything else i can do.

9. Was just speaking to my mate(bradY) who owns the same rifle and he said he had to get his howa 1500 22/250 recrowned as it wouldnt shoot well,and that the hogue synth stocks are up the crap.

10. hornet lover

hornet lover Guest

what should i do murph, should i tell him to **** it off or try a few things first, a couple of benchy's have told him to seat the bullet at the lands, i dont think this will help but he seems so adimant that its not the rifle thats the problem

11. Just been talking to brady and he said that his took 150 rounds to settle down and he had it recrowned after that.Now it shoots awesome groups with bm2 and 2206h.If this thing has only had 60 to 80 rounds through it i would shoot some more through it and make sure you clean it often when running it in.Also dont heat it up too much.The barrel is still rough and raw.Its very hard to convince someone who has it set in thier mind that the ammo is wrong that it could possibly be them or the gun.Seating the bullet on the lands is going to spike the pressure if you dont load it down.Its hard to help when you can see it going on.The other thing brad said was that the pillar bedding on the hogue stocks isnt very flash and you should get it bedded properly.

12. hornet lover

hornet lover Guest

thanks mate ill tell him to keep shootin it, is it norm to have to shoot so many rounds through it to run it in ?

13. Some people do it and some dont.I do run mine in.I start off shooting 2 and cleaning then after 20 i shoot 3 or 4 and clean then when over 50 i shoot 5 then clean all the way up to 100 or so.Making sure i dont heat it up and its clean as inside.Its still possible it isnt shooting right so be prepared to take it back and let the dealer check it out.

14. hornet lover

hornet lover Guest

thanks mate you've been very helpful.

15. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    id have him try a different scope. 22-250's are typically very accurate.

16. Drygulch

Drygulch G&G Newbie

Hornet Lover,
    Yep, I bought the Howa 1500(sporter) in 22-250. Never shot consistant groups out of the box. For the following ten years I tried every re=loading trick in the book, no luck! I decided to spend some serious money on it because it was a beautiful rifle,ie:glass bed(four times), barrel floated, crowned,lugs lapped, three differant scopes and all kinds of mounts. When I realized it had to be in the barrel, I sold it and bought a Savage 12VLP. After the break-in, the stats were incredible,I almost p_____ my pants I was so happy.All the prior frustration was gone! Busting clay birds atI 380 yards I consider is pretty good,.Now some BR fans will dis-sagree, but for me, this was good. Of course there are a lot of variables to consider, but once dialed in, my Savage proved to be a good shooter.

17. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

I would at least free float the barrel. My uncle just sold a howa 22 250 and he said it shot very well. Murphy sounds like he knows what he is talking about, try that and good luck with your mate gun.

18. I'm working with a friends 22-250 that was built back in 1955. The Throat erosion is quite noticable. Tried varous loads with different wt bullets, even seated at different lengths. Want to tell him to rechamber to 243-22 to clean up throat erosion but, factory Reminton loads, 45 grain still produce good results. Go figure?

19. First try a Simms labratory decellatrator on the barrel and if it helps then float the barrel or leave it on.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest