Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
Several
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I like the . 22-250 cartridge. Tell me about your build; I’m intrigued.
what barrel length did you get, and what length gas system? Did you go with an adjustable gas block?
I picked a 20” rifle length medium weight barrel since the added length of my suppressor will be in it.
I have a Odin Works adjustable gas block since I will put my suppressor on it when my extra barrel adapter comes in. I measured the gas port at .088”. My aero precision M5 lower already has a 5.3 oz buffer and orange spring. I used the tool craft bcg from my 308.
Everything that I have read says that the taper of the 22-250 case causes feed issues if you put many in the magazine. So I only put 5 in my Pmag 7.62 20 round magazine today. I had no cycling issues at all. I have a couple of 10 round mags coming. I already have 22-250 ammo for it since I also use a Winchester model 70 bolt gun and have been very impressed with the accuracy of it.
I shot dime size groups today at 50 yds with the new upper.
The lack of magazines that are designed for the taper of a 22-250 means that it might not be a wise choice but I knew that and all the coyotes that aren’t down, are gone by the time I shot 5 rds. Lol. I will carry spare mags light loaded

· Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
First rifle I ever purchased was an M77 in .22-250. Great shooter. Always loved that caliber. Killed a number of whitetail with it...along with a number of yotes back in the day.

I recently purchased a .243 upper from Bear Creek Arsenal. They also have a .22-250 and 6.5C upper. Thought that might be where you got yours!

· Registered
Several
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
First rifle I ever purchased was an M77 in .22-250. Great shooter. Always loved that caliber. Killed a number of whitetail with it...along with a number of yotes back in the day.

I recently purchased a .243 upper from Bear Creek Arsenal. They also have a .22-250 and 6.5C upper. Thought that might be where you got yours!
It is the BCA. But I didn’t want their side charger so I would be stuck with their bcg. The upper receiver fit great on my aero precision lower. My first bolt gun was also a 22-250 Winchester model 70, and I still have it. I really like that caliber too.

· Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
The .243 I got from them has not yet made it to my Anderson Manufacturing AR-10 lower. From Youtube, it appears they fit together fine, but will run into the occasional FTF. Mine was bought as a cheap method to add a caliber, so rapid fire is not even on my list as far as deciding to purchase. Who rapid fires .243 and .22-250 anyway. I wanted it for a game procurement tool, and that should only take one shot!

· Registered
Several
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The .243 I got from them has not yet made it to my Anderson Manufacturing AR-10 lower. From Youtube, it appears they fit together fine, but will run into the occasional FTF. Mine was bought as a cheap method to add a caliber, so rapid fire is not even on my list as far as deciding to purchase. Who rapid fires .243 and .22-250 anyway. I wanted it for a game procurement tool, and that should only take one shot!
If you get the gas port sized right and the matching buffer weight and spring it should cycle properly. BCA also uses a gas tube that is too short. I got a Wilson Combat gas tube that reaches the middle of the cam cutout in the receiver. I drilled the gas port bigger too. And put adjustable gas block on it. With a 5.3 oz buffer and orange spring. AR10s can be a bit picky until you get everything right.

· Registered
Several
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
.22-250 is such a smokin' caliber. I honestly didn't even know anyone made an AR upper chambered for it.
There have been a couple, Olympic made one years ago that worked but they are out of business. Bear Creek has them either complete rifles or just uppers. The reason they don’t catch on is because of the taper of the 22-250 cartridges. That makes feeding from the magazine problematic.
I am using Pmag 10 round that bear creek recommended but I can only put 5 in the magazine and get good cycling. It shoots great and with 1 chambered and the 5, what I don’t hit will have already run off or I will stick another mag in it.

· Global Warming Enthusiast
4,357 Posts
The reason they don’t catch on is because of the taper of the 22-250 cartridges. That makes feeding from the magazine problematic.
That was my next question, is there a caliber specific magazine for it... Do you use an AR-10 mag?

· Registered
1,579 Posts
I've contemplated building an AR10 in .22-250, also thought about building an AR15 in .204 ruger.

I do have some extra parts, maybe I'll get around to that this year.

· Registered
2,207 Posts
I had a 700 Rem 22 inch full contour bbl and a 6.5x20 Lup 22-250. MANY prairie 'rats', at ranges up to 600 yds, gave their all so I could enjoy shooting it!!! :)

· Registered
9,593 Posts
I've contemplated building an AR10 in .22-250, also thought about building an AR15 in .204 ruger.

I do have some extra parts, maybe I'll get around to that this year.
A few years ago a buddy of mine built a faster twist 204 Ruger with a 22" barrel. He was shooting custom bullets for it that were 45-50gr range. He could reach out and touch the Prairie dogs with that one even on windy days.

· Global Warming Enthusiast
4,357 Posts
Bear Creek recommends a Pmag 308 gen3 10 round. I have two of them and they work ok if I don’t load them full. I am still trying to find out what folks have been successful with
This is where I break off... and you answered all my questions pretty well about why we don't see .22-250 AR's often. The .22-250 is one of my favorite calibers, but to me there's not nearly enough advantage to give up .223 reliability and capacity. MY AR's don't hiccup, stovepipe, double feed, FTE, FTF... and they work great with a full magazine, so I'll move along on this one.

I get the appeal for sure, especially with a varmint AR as opposed a battle rifle. But I'll just stick with my bolts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts