22 ammo again

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by MarkII 22, Sep 11, 2002.

1. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 Guest

I got some CCI Miny mags,some CCI Stingers and some of my bolk pack federals. Then I took a 22 single shot rifle 20 yards and a couple of oil filters and started shooting. The feds would nock a filter over first shot :) . The miny mags would nock one over first shot and move it alot further than the feds :cool: . The stingers would only move it a little :mad: . I used the same 22 it has a 24 inch barrell.:target:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2002
  2. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Kinetic energy 101

It's been 17 years since college physics class help me out G3

The stinger is a lighter faster projectile.

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Ok, the factors that affect penetration and the ability to throw the can are velocity, bullet weight, and bullet shape. Mass and velocity affent momentum and energy. In this case, it's momentum and bullet shape that are the issue. A more pointed bullet penetrates more. But if it penetrates completely, there's momentum left in the bullet that isn't transferred to the can. So if you want to throw AND penetrate a can, you need just the right amount of point on the bullet. And the more velocity a given bullet has, the more momentum it has to either penetrate or move the can.

If you were shooting into a solid object, energy would be the factor measuring distance of penetration.

4. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    thanx G3, knew you would come thru. :)

5. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 Guest

Yeah ok G3 What I wanted to know was which one hit hardest.

6. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Kind of a difficult term to nail down, but I'd say that the one that hit the hardest is the one that makes the cans fly the farthest. That means the most momentum has gone into the can.

7. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 Guest

Yeah I know the miny mags are the most powerfull(from what test I can do)