Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a 22 with my son for him to get some practice on. AR platform, lightweight, relatively inexpensive. I’m thinking a pistol length / SBR for a few reasons. Shorter barrel for weight and easier to control with his little arms, and I think he’ll like the way it looks too, like something out of one of his video games. So where can I find .22 AR parts at reasonable prices? Anyone recommend any parts?

It seems you want to build a traditional AR15 no problem. But in 22? That’s tricky. And I don’t want any conversion kits, those sound like garbage and I want him to have his own rifle

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
You can use a lightweight regular AR and put a CMMG .22 conversion unit in it. I don't know how old your son is or how big, but that is an option. When older, just take the unit out and put the regular bolt carrier group in it. You just swap the bolt carrier group and the magazine, very easy.

·
Super Moderator
4,556 Posts
I would follow Kaybe's idea or at least build a dedicated .22LR upper and a multi-cal lower so when he grows up you can change it out for a bigger caliber. As for parts there is https://palmettostatearmory.com/ and Midway USA which are usually pretty decent.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
You will be hard pressed to beat a S&W M&P 15-22 on both price and weight. Dedicated .22 AR style carbine, but they are fantastic. $300 shipped from Palmetto right now.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Just a thought, but have you thought about just getting a used Ruger 10/22 and Re-building it instead for a first rifle?

You can make them as cool as you like and when you're done your Son will have a great little .22 that he will likely use for a lifetime (I did this with an older beat up 10/22 from a pawn shop and now it's my favorite .22... and to this day I send more rounds down range with it than with any other rifle. Then as your Son gets a little older do a custom AR build.

While I didn't build my 10/22 with my Son, he's definitely shot it a lot and now that he's older we built a pair of custom AR's together for fun (we did that when he was 16). As for the .22 conversions does anyone have any experience with with the aftermarket conversion kits? I've been thinking about trying them but question their reliability and accuracy? ... and that's another point with possibly building a regular AR and doing a conversion- If it's not accurate then it makes it really hard to build shooting skills and confidence especially for a younger or novice shooter.

Just some thoughts, your mileage will vary!

Here are a couple of pics of my 10/22 as it was when I purchased and of my Dad shooting it back in 2013 (that was the last time he ever went to a range shooting, he passed last year).

IMG_0298.JPG
P1050031.jpg

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking even a polymer lower?? Any naysayers to that? Might just figure out a dedicated upper, and put together a decent lower and yea, swap out the upper for a different caliber one day maybe. Also a viable option- the hk 416 22lr pistol, slap an “arm brace” on there and good to go right?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are the M&P 15-22 parts compatible with other AR parts? Such as pistol grip, stock, or if I wanted to completely swap out the whole lower?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
No, not quite. These don’t need a buffer and spring, so the lower is molded with the false buffer as one piece. The takedown pins are not in the same place, so you won’t be able to put a standard upper on it.

Trigger and grip are interchangeable with standard AR parts. I think the sliding carbine stock is AR spec too, but I haven’t messed with mine. You won’t be able to attach an A2 stock to it though.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I bought one of those CMMG 22LR conversion kits for my AR, 6 or 7 years ago. My advice on those is that you are better off building or buying dedicated 22LR upper. Price is about the same or less.
If you check MidwayUSA, Palmetto State Armory, SurplusAmmo, AIM Surplus, etc, etc, you will often see some that are on sale, assembled.

The problem I have with my CMMG conversion is that it uses a chamber adaptor in a 223/5.56 upper. Upon firing, that 22 lead bullet is jumping almost the length of a 223 cartridge before it slams into the rifling. Accuracy was horrible.
Further, the gas system is intact, so a lot of junk gets into the gas system; although the 22LR conversion is a blow back action.
So you have "distorted" bullets going down past the gas port. Unless you have an adjustable gas block that can shut off the gas,
For limited use for training purposes, or some other need, they work fine. But my opinion is to get a dedicated upper. Or even a S&W M&P22

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve only seen one 22 bolt available and it’s the cmmg and it’s pricey, more expensive than their conversion kit, oddly enough. Anyone know of any other 22 bolts? I can’t find any

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I’ve only seen one 22 bolt available and it’s the cmmg and it’s pricey, more expensive than their conversion kit, oddly enough. Anyone know of any other 22 bolts? I can’t find any
Everything I have seen available has been CMMG, but I admit to not digging too deep when I was last considering one. The cost of the conversions is a big reason I went with the dedicated S&W M&P 15-22. A dedicated rifle for $300 shipped is about the same cost as a conversion.

Palmetto's .22LR uppers come with a bcg and a charging handle. I don't know who makes those.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Price wise, M&P rifle = palmetto upper = cmmg bolt. I might as well go with a full rifle and customize it
Palmetto then?
My M&P was an impulse buy from the consignment rack. I love it, but a full AR with a .22 upper will have it’s benefits.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Price wise, M&P rifle = palmetto upper = cmmg bolt. I might as well go with a full rifle and customize it
It would, but maybe some other time
I’m confused on what you actually decided above. I assumed “full rifle” meant ar lower with a .22 upper. What are you actually thinking is the best route?

For the record, they are all good choices. Even if the choice is to bail and save your money for something else.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’m confused on what you actually decided above. I assumed “full rifle” meant ar lower with a .22 upper. What are you actually thinking is the best route?

For the record, they are all good choices. Even if the choice is to bail and save your money for something else.
By full rifle I meant the M&P

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
He’s 12, it would be his first. He plays fortnite :rolleyes:
There was a 13 year old new shooter rocking an m&p 15/22 at the rimfire steel challenge last week. It's a "fun" challenge at the indoor range. He did great.

He played on his phone in between runs... But did well with the rifle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts