close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.22 for home defense...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

:eek: While I wouldn't recommend it...it does happen.
    Usually it is somebody who only owns one gun...I am concerned about the occurance of "Dud" rounds..and jams (Time out...lemme clear
    this :rolleyes: )...Shot placement is key:assult: Any thoughts ?:rolleyes: :fuss: :eek: :rolleyes:

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a .22lr DA revolver will do wonders!!! get one of the 9 shot versons. and practice!!! a face full of 9 .22 slugs, will ruin the day of any perp!!!:nod: :D

3. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I traded away my Taurus 9 shooter...neat little revolver...too bad they don't make the 3 inch barrel anymore

4. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 G&G Newbie

PAPA G you must not care to much about yourself trusting your life to a 22 rim fire I love to shoot 22s but if I had a choce I would never use one for self defence.

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Home defense...12 ga. pump with 00 buck...priceless!

6. PAPA G

MARK YOU TWERP:eek: there are lotsa people out here who have for what ever reason, a 22 for self defense. it behooves them to know what to do. like i said 9 22 slugs in the face will give the recipient something else to think about!!! once during a lunch room bull session, guys are poo-pooing the use of 22, 25, 32. for selfdefence. i say "that bad" they say "ya". to wit i reply tell you what ya'll stand at 100yds, and i'll take shots at you. no volunteers!!!. think about it:D any who mine is 12gauge with #6 shot

7. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 G&G Newbie

A 22 is to puny a 39 or 40 gr slug is nothing like a 230 gr 45 man

8. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 G&G Newbie

OH Yeh If your concernd about kick get a 38 revolver with wadcutters or HPs and be a lot better of.

9. Twerp--Right on. Must be slang for idiot.

10. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 G&G Newbie

Hell man cant you give it up I'm sorry

11. PAPA G

take your ruger mark II and shove it, full of .22'sthan blast away as fast as you can at a cantalope at a typical defensive range. see what i mean???:fuss:

12. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I sometimes carry a Black Widow .22 WMR revolver, and feel that a 40 Gr. slug at 1100 FPS is capable of doing reasonable damage. I normally carry larger calibers, though, and use the .22 primarily when I want a high degree of concealability.

13. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

nobody sane is going to want to stand downrange from somebody with a Mark 2 (or any other .22 for that matter)...a .22 is capable of going through a 2x4 at 7 yards...

14. aceoftrumps

aceoftrumps G&G Newbie

22 for home defense

I'm just gonna stick my two cents in.

Damage=velocity x weight

22WMR ballistics outperform a 38 special.

I have a Taurus, 2 inch barrel in 22 WMR and I have the utmost confidence in it. And it stays loaded with JHP's, 40 grain.

Kurt

15. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

The first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun, correct? A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44. If it's all you have, it's all you have. Practice with it and remember shot placement is the key.

16. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

A 22 in the hand is better than a 45 left at home...
    In all reality, though, a 22LR is a big step above a 25ACP.
    I myself would rather have something more substantial, being as I'm fully capable of handling a 45.

17. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

price comparison

:eek: Mr G3 a good .22lr rifle (Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60) costs around $200. A good .45ACP is almost twice that (Ruger P90 or P97) :p A lot of people aren't into guns like us...they like .22s just fine :assult:

18. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I agree that a .22 LR is better than nothing (or a .25), and a .22WMR is much better. Many good posts in this thread.

19. PAPA G

ya like a facefull of .22's

20. Oneshot

Oneshot G&G Newbie

here's my 2 cents

Gents, havent been here in a while, and cant wait to get into a few conversations with yall. But back to the subject... as far as the .22lr goes. Here's what i do. I carry a .45 1911 Springfield at all times, sometimes i go ahead and put a .357 Ruger security six for my offhand, but there is also a NAA .22lr revolver sitting behind my wallet, just in case it's the only thing i can get to without arousing attention and getting myself shot in the process. So even though it may just be there for a diversion at best, it is still there as an extra level of insurance. Besides, a .22 is more than capable in practiced hands---but you still wont catch me out without either the .45 or the .357.

Oneshot