.22 mag vs. .17 hmr

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JohnBlaze, May 6, 2008.

What is better?

1. .22 magnum

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. .17 hmr

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. JohnBlaze

JohnBlaze Guest

So what do you guys think? I have a Savage Model 90 with a stainless steel bull barrel which I had tapped for open sights, I love this gun.

My friend keeps talking about buying a Marlin .17 hmr, but I tried to discourage them, they are more expensive to buy, shoot, and they're not better, imo.

****oops! I just noticed I placed this thread in the wrong forum, and I told myself not to be a stupid newbie, and then I acted like one. Guess I got too "gung-ho" about this site. :D can one of you moderators kindly move this to a relevant forum? thank you!***

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Basically, it boils down to....

If you want to eat the critter, use a .22 WMR.

If you want to blow him up, use the .17HMR.

:approve:

I like both.

3. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

Does the .22mag have greater range than the .17HMR?

4. No I wouldn't say so at all. The .17 is more accurate.

5. JohnBlaze

JohnBlaze Guest

I wonder if there are ballistics comparisons out there that we can find?

6. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

I'm surprised that he picked the .17 over the .22 for shots over 100 yards. Yeah, the .17 will not drop as fast (at first), but it's energy is going to be shot to heck beyond 100 yards, at least compared to the .22WMR.

Wouldn't you be better off knowing the distance of your target and adjusting for trajectory, and getting more energy down range at the same time?

I vote .22WMR :D

7. I voted the .22 WMR too but some people would disagree. But I can't help that.

8. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

My experience,the.17,s are considerably more accurate at 100yds on a relativly still day. sam.

9. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

Are they more accurate, or do they just have a flatter trajectory?

The 30-06 shoots flatter than the .308, but many consider the .308 to be more accurate.

I don't know if I would feel confident hunting with a 20-gr bullet, even though it's small game, and the bullet is moving like a bat out of hell.

At 100 yards, are people able to produce better groups with a .17 than a .22? If so, then I see a place for the .17. If not, then I'd rather take the .22, and have to calculate trajectory beyond 100 yards.

10. You will have better groups with a .17 HMR.