.22 pistol - which?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Brian Lavin, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Brian Lavin

Brian Lavin Guest

I'm in the market for a target pistol and I've been eyeing two models. One is thr Ruger MKII, I've shot them and know they are accurate etc, but I handled a Smith model 22A, with target grips on Saturday, seemed pretty nice. Plus, it comes ready to accept a scope. Have any of you used this pistol and what do you think.

2. Jeffro

Jeffro Guest

Brian,
    I have never fired the S&W, but the Rugers are the best all-around .22s I have ever encountered. The S&W might be great, I don't know. However in my humble opinion, the Ruger is the "King of the Hill" in .22 semiauto pistols.
    Happy Trails, and safe shootin'
    Jeffro (Jef)

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Stripping and reassembling the Ruger can be a b*****-kitty. But they do shoot nice. Lot's of neat add-ons available.
    I got to shoot the Smith recently. Love those big target grips! They felt great in my big hands. Pop a red-dot on, and your ready for some serious shooting. The only bad thing is, those grips don't come on the 7"-barrel version. It has a quick-change barrel, though. Maybe buy a second barrel in 7"? The question now, can I justify buying another .22 pistol?
    They are both good pistols. You won't be disappointed either way.

4. guffster

guffster Guest

i shoot a browning buckmark & ruger mkII, accuracy is about equal, but the browning is easier to breakdown & i like the ergonomics a little better (1911 positioned mag release)

5. I also have a Browning Buck Mark 11 target (with the 'gold' trigger) and I love it. It does have a hair trigger that the pulse in your finger can set off (kinda exagerating...and maybe not, lol).

It's a great gun and super, super accurate. Over the years I have only replaced an ejector, ejector rod and spring for the tune of about $5.00.

6. colt45

colt45 Guest

I had a smith for competion and swithed to the MKII target comp modle. No comparison the ruger is far better than the smith out of the box. But if you are into wasting money you can dump a few hundred into the smith to make it shoot like a MKII.
    I know I sound like I don't like smiths not so I just state it like I see it the MKII is a far better bullseye shooter than the smith.
    If you are in the market for a target gun already set up for the addition of optics The MKII comes with rings when purchased new.
    The resent inport of the EAA 22 comp is also a nice shooter but hard to change clips quickly in rapid fire comp.

7. Rock

Rock Guest

I would go with a Ruger 22/45 target

8. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I HAVE THE SMITH WITH TARGET GRIPS AND BULL BARREL AND THINK IT'S AN EXCELLENT GUN. I ALSO HAVE A TAURUS TRACKER SATIN STAINLESS REVOLVER WITH 6 INCH BARREL IN .22 AND THAT IS AN EXCELLENT GUN ALSO!

9. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    if you havent made up your mind yet, i would definately look at the browning buckmark-very nice guns. rugers not bad either,but i vote for the browning.

10. Brian Lavin

Brian Lavin Guest

Well, I have made up my mind. Got a Ruger 22/45 with 8" barrel for $230. Got a scope coming in next couple days, picked up the Ruger this evening. It's got "Great Eight" on top of the barrel, I guess it's an out of production barrel length, not on their website or in current catalog. Can't wait to take it to range!!
    Cleaned it tonight, whew, ***** to reassemble if you don't pay CLOSE attn,!!

11. Brian Lavin

Brian Lavin Guest

Here's a pic of my MK II 22/45, with the Tasco Propoint. It's a little fuzzy, but you get the idea. Mine has an 8" barrel, says "Great Eight" on top of barrel, mfg in 2000.

Attached Files:

12. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    nice choice!

13. Klaus

Klaus Guest

I may get one myself. The .22/45s are nice.