Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently came across an old pistol when going through a family members belonging that had passed. It appears to be a pump 22 in a pistol version. The receiver looks to be a takedown and the barrel is short, around 8 inches. It has a pistol grip with an original pistol Backstrap frame that does not appear to be cut down from a shoulder stock. The barrel is crowned and has a front sight so does not appear cut down either. I have never seen anything like it. Anybody know what this is?
Brown Luggage and bags Bag Wood Beige

· Registered
Collector of Military guns and Model 70 Winchesters
228 Posts
Well That is a first for me , and I find nothing in my books about anything similar. Are there any stampings of any kind ?
Rich (in SE Oklahoma)

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My initial thought was a cut down as well, but the grip has a full frame and the barrel has a knocked sight groove and a crown. I can't imagine a gunsmith going to that much trouble for a 22. Thanks for the pics and info on the Savage rifle. I believe that was the genesis of this oddity.

· Registered
228 Posts
My initial thought was a cut down as well, but the grip has a full frame and the barrel has a knocked sight groove and a crown. I can't imagine a gunsmith going to that much trouble for a 22. Thanks for the pics and info on the Savage rifle. I believe that was the genesis of this oddity.
As a Gunsmith , I can do all those things , with my welder, lathe, Milling machine , and hand tools , so I'm betting thats what was done using an old Smith and wesson type grip section and mating it to the Receiver. Shorten the barrel, recut the crown ,shorten the mag tube and magazine , mill in a front dovetail for the sight , make a pump forend , assemble and done !

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree a competent gunsmith like yourself would certainly have the ability to perform those modifications. The question would be why, when any number of 22 pistols were available at the time from h&r s&w colt and many more for what would have been easier and less expensive. Once again, thanks for all the great input from you guys. I have sent an inquiry to Savage to see if they can tell me anything. I'll keep yall updated.

· Registered
228 Posts
Why is a question we may never know the answer to. We can speculate the answer as:
1. For the hell of it , something to build with junk on hand...
2. A need for a compact reliable gun with a longer barrel than was available. ( a Mare's Leg or bicycle gun comes to mind).
3. An Invention that never went past the prototype stage.
4. It is what a customer wanted that never came back and paid for it...
5. A back pack survival gun for killing small game .

· Registered
2,418 Posts
As a Gunsmith , I can do all those things , with my welder, lathe, Milling machine , and hand tools , so I'm betting thats what was done using an old Smith and wesson type grip section and mating it to the Receiver. Shorten the barrel, recut the crown ,shorten the mag tube and magazine , mill in a front dovetail for the sight , make a pump forend , assemble and done !
Mag tube? This is a detachable magazine fed 22. Hence the very square front to the trigger guard.

· Registered
2,418 Posts
Why is a question we may never know the answer to. We can speculate the answer as:
1. For the hell of it , something to build with junk on hand...
2. A need for a compact reliable gun with a longer barrel than was available. ( a Mare's Leg or bicycle gun comes to mind).
3. An Invention that never went past the prototype stage.
4. It is what a customer wanted that never came back and paid for it...
5. A back pack survival gun for killing small game .
Could have had damage done to the barrel, and it was shortened to remove the damage. Or the stock broke, and they decided to go this way instead of fixing/replacing stock….so many possible reasons.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts