22 target pistol

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by s rosenthal, May 28, 2008.

1. s rosenthal

s rosenthal G&G Newbie

Going to local gun show this weekend and may look for a 22 semi for target shooting. With cost of ammo, 22 seems to be the way to go cheap. Any suggestions at around $200 ( seems to be fair considering this as a sometime hobby).

2. You are not going to find anything new in your price range. A used Buckmark or Ruger MAY hit your price range. I bought both for under $200 each.

3. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

if ypu add about 50 buks youcould get a new ruger mk II or III

4. s rosenthal

s rosenthal G&G Newbie

Thanks y'all for responses. Goin on Sat 5/30 to Gun Show in Charleson, SC and have your recommendations.

5. Look for a S&W Mod 41

DANA

6. ash

ash G&G Addict

S&W 22a may also be in your price range.

7. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

For target, Ruger MK3 is tough to beat.

It does have occasional failures to feed, though.

If you're looking for a "camp gun" which always needs to fire look toward the ruger singles, or the SW 3" 317 w/hi viz kit gun.

8. A Ruger Mark II or III, a Buckmark or a Beretta .22 Neos.

9. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Don't rule out the old Ruger Mark I, either. I spent $230 for one in good shape with 3 magazines. Used doesn't always mean worn out or a dud. Just examine any potential purchase carefully. Be sure to bring a bore light or a penlight or a mini-maglite or something like that so you can check the bore.

The Mark I has ergonomics virtually identical to the P-08 Luger, the pistol that set the standard for natural pointing. Its only flaw as i see it is the European heel-type magazine release. To someone used to the button release of the M1911A1, that's a nuisance. But then, you're looking for a target pistol to learn on & plink with, not something to enter action gun shoots with. Any of the guns mentioned so far will do right by you.

Last edited: May 29, 2008