222 questions

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by chenz, Sep 22, 2010.

1. chenz

chenz G&G Newbie

I just bout a sako vixen hb 222 and need some help with some questions so does any one know what range I should sight it in at and good lodes for the 222?

2. Don't know anything about the Sako Vixen, but dad has a T\C Contender barrel in 222 Rem (14 inch) that he has sighted in at 100 yards, and I watched him kill a groundhog at 196 paces off a bi pod from the prone position. As for a load he was shooting a charge of 2400 pushing a 50gr HNDY SX bullets.

3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Sakos are tremendous shooters and I love the little triple deuce. Go to the bulletmaker's sites for load data.

4. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I would sight in at 150 Yards...The .222 is a tackdriver .
    I used it for silhouette at 150 Meters in a 10 inch contender and it never missed.

5. I'll second 150 yards, which will do you for most varmints out to about 250 yards which I think is about the maximum effective range of this round on live quarry.

6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Your daddy must be playing with handloads for a short barrel.There is no load data I know of using 2400 powder and jacketed bullets.For you less experienced reloaders,keep Alliant #2400 powder away from any .222rem cartridge you are building over 35K CUP in.Jacketed bullets have much more drag/friction than cast and #2400 is a real hot/fast shotgun/handgun/small rifle powder that just a little goes a long ways.It is an exelent powder designed for the .22Hornet,works good in .410 shells and is good to excelent in magnum revolvers,especially with heavy bullets.It also works well with cast bullets in varmint (.22 centerfire) rifles if kept below 35K CUP.Your dad may very well have worked up a load for a Contender using a jacketed highly frangible bullet like the Hornady SX,s by watching pressure signs.(or possibly found data on it some place.Basically tho,#2400 Alliant is "NOT" a powder normally used in a .222rem except in lower pressure loads using cast bullets.Sounds like fun as long as you know what you're doing.

7. Sam, it's in Sierras Single shot pistol section of their manual. If it's not in at least one of our manuals we don't try it. This is why I didn't post the charge with the load.

8. I too have a Sako Vixen in .222 Rem. It is a wonderful combination of accurate rifle and accurate cartridge. I wont quote loads, but most all reloading manuals give many very accurate loads for the triple deuce. For the best accuracy clean the barrel after no more than 20 rounds, but do it correctly and gently and from the action end of the rifle. If there is a "Hall of Fame" for specific cartridges, the triple deuce is there among the first 3 listed. JMHO. In no wind conditions it is amazing at the distances which I have taken prairie dogs with my .222 R. ........... Big Cholla

9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I know you guys are gonna shake your heads, but the first Black Tail buck I ever shot was with the triple deuce. One shot in the bread basket and down he went. Nice big 4 pointer (Western Count). It was the smallest caliber legal for deer in 1967 CA regs...

We were walking uphill to the West, and he was bedded in some brush. I am sure he heard me before he smelled me. He just stood up and looked around, then took one step sideways, exposing himself. I shot him from 123 steps from a very short 12 year old's legs, and uphill (under 100 yds).

I learned later that my Dad decided on this drive as we had a bright sun to our back, and the deer would be bedded to catch the AM sun. Smart old man eh ?? He went to Viet Nam for the next two years, and I never hunted with him again. I told this story for years around the campfire, just to keep it alive in my mind !! Thanks to all for letting me rekindle the story !!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  10. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

^Thanks for the story Steve.Really enjoyed it.You definitly had a "one in a million" father.