223 dpms: what is accuracy @ 300 yds? price?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by trigger204, Dec 25, 2008.

1. trigger204

trigger204 G&G Newbie

i'm just beginning to look at high powered rifles and i think i might be interested in the DPMS in a 223 caliber to take out some coyotes in my area and to just play around with. i'm sure this is the age old question but just how accurate would one be out to 300 yards? how much do i have to pay for one that i can mount a descect scope onto?

2. cb671

cb671 G&G Enthusiast

IF you Build your own you can probably get it a bit cheaper than going thru the manufactrer or shop .... Most DPMS Complete Rifle's I've seen are in the $1k and up range. You can build your own for abit cheaper. DPMS Lower about $400+ and complete Flat Top Upper about $400+. If your going for Pinpoint Accuracy you can go with a Bull Barrel...but I've seen some shot's with the reg Barrel's group within 3" at 300yds. Plus also depending on the Brand of Ammo you are shooting...Try to stay away from the Wolf brand of ammo ... they are good for fun shooting only, just get some better ammo for hunting like either Federal, Remington etc. As for Scope's..depend's on your Budget...but Bushnell is a Great Bang for your Buck. And their Optic's are Good. Nikon's, Leica's are the more expensive brand as well as a few other's but their Optic's are Top Notch.

3. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

A good 20" hbar with the right ammo and the right shooter will keep them within the 3" at 300 yards. With a 24" varmint/bull barrel, hopefully much better.
    How much to pay?......................well that depends on you, guaranteed accuracy costs money!

4. bluealtered

bluealtered G&G Newbie

Of the four ar's i have at the moment, two are dpms. The low-pro 16" bull barrel will shoot constant interlocking groups at 100yds, this is off sandbags from the bench, with a cheap simmons 3-9x50 scope. the ammo is federal value pack, (blue box) 200rds 50gr jhp from wally. It will shoot 3" groups at 300yd as well. As stated above, you will save money, (pre-nov.) and have fun building your own. Take a look at www.model1sales.com for kits that will do the same as any brand name. You should remember that a long barrel isn't needed to use up all the power of a .223.blue

5. milproakron

milproakron G&G Newbie

DPMS has several models for less than 1k. Their entry level rifles are typically between $699 and $800. I paid $699 for their flattop 16"er and I couldn't be happier. Of course, dealers are inflating the prices right now, but if you buy from a reputable place, or direct from DPMS, they haven't raised their prices in the last 2 months.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear G&G Newbie

My DPMS flat top 16" bull barrel is grouping around 2" at 300 yards with factory 55 gr sofy point Remington ammo in .223 topped with 4x-16x scope. That's PLENTY good enough for me as it's my coyote & groundhog rifle anyway.:)

7. sgtlloyd

sgtlloyd G&G Newbie

223 dpms: what is accuracy @ 300 yds?

i have a dpms bull panther 24'' . i shoot 300 yards all the time with centerpoint scope and harris bipod with 62gr hp it shoots 3 shot you can cover with a quarter .

8. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Newbie

I think your prices are about 4-5 months off. Right now the cheapest off the shelf DPMS flat top carbine runs in the $800 range - if you can find it. I know of a couple shops here in Kansas that have one (and only one) on the shelf for $899. The pricing listed below is the wholesale price. Dealers are marking them up 20% (which is fair). Some are marking them up 50% and getting it.

Online Store — DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

If you want to order direct from DPMS their back log was about 6 months and probably even longer now.

9. jt185

jt185 G&G Newbie

Scheels has that low pro with the bull barrel on sale for 600 bucks in Coralville IA. Great deal I think. I bought a Sportical because it's a little lighter for toting around. A lot of stores will price match if you provide documentation. The market is flooded with these guns, I think. Prices should become a little more negotiable with volume bueyer like sporting goods chain stores..

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  10. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Newbie

Nine months has made a big differance in pricing. Went to a local gun show and saw AKs in the $400 range (were in the $700 - $800) and SKS were back into the $200 range. ARs were plentiful on the tables in the $650-$700 range with some of last years buyers walking around trying to get $1000 out of their "like new" ARs.