Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am new to reloading but have been looking at getting into it. But I also make my own lead for my muzzleloaders, i was wondering if I can make the lead for a .223 rifle too? If so can someone tell me where to buy the mold, what the best mold is and what the correct size of a .223 bullet is. That may sound stupid but i shoot .490 and .495 out of my black powder instead of .500.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Midsouth Shooters Supply, Reloading, Air Guns, Optics, Muzzleloaders & Shooting Supplies and MidwayUSA - Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gun Parts, Ammunition, Rifle Scopes & Airguns amongst others have moulds for all cal,s. including .22.I would also advise getting a book on cast bullets. You only use undersize bullets when using a patch on round balls. even in muzzle loaders the bullets fit the bore or are slightly larger.Either of these co,s have books on casting rifle bullets.I never had too good of luck with aluminum moulds.They are cheaper but the steel worked much better. samuel.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The .223 takes a .224 jacketed bullet. You may have to experiment with different sizes to get accuracy. Velocities should be kept low. You can turn your .223 into a nice .22 Hornet! Don't use lead in gas guns. The thought of getting lead out of an AR gas tube gives me the willies.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
All good advice above. rfc is correct, the 223 can make a dandy hornet. I've done it with reduced loads with jacketed bullets. Definitely get a good book on cast bullets like Sam recommends. There is more stuff than can be written here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts