close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

223 rifling

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, May 7, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Does anyone know what the rate of twist is for AKs in 223? Specifically the Saiga, converted Saiga (presumably the same), SAR-3, MAK-90, and VEPR II?

I'm specifcally hoping to know if they'll shoot longer, heavier bullets, like SS109. Anyone have good reports on their accuracy? I know this sounds crazy, but I'm considering one against an AR, and accuracy is #1 priority, but price matters too. And Mini-14 is out. I've actually heard that some AKs, like the VEPR, can be pretty darn accurate. Next question, what competitions would they be allowed in?

Last edited: May 7, 2002
  2. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I remember reading that the vast majority of the .223 AK's had a 1-in-8 twist, which would make it suitable for the heavier bullets. The accuracy was reportedly on par with an as-issue M16 A2. As far as competitions, what do you have in mind?

3. BattleRifleG3

I have no idea what kinds of competitions. I live in western PA, anyone know what goes on around here?

4. florgy

florgy G&G Newbie

Norinco .223's are 1 in 9. Regards.

5. Sutro

Sutro G&G Newbie

There's a thread over at ak47.net about a fellow who's working with Red Star Arms and Ron Power (of Power Custom) on a competition AK for high power matches. Pretty interesting stuff.

6. BattleRifleG3

From what I've picked up, Saigas are approx 1:9 (it's metric, but close) and the SAR-3s are 1:12, but I'm not as sure about the latter.