223 WSSM AI

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 338RemUltraMag, May 3, 2008.

1. Is this even possible?? it should open up a lot of fps like a 50 gr going 4,500fps anyone have exp with this? Does anyone know how much more powder gain is in store? THANKS ALL

2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Just an opinion.Boosting the shoulder to 40deg. might make a hard to chamber cartridge impossible to chamber.With light bullets it has a 440fps advantage over a .22-250 so increasing speed would lead to verry short barrel life and probably limit bullets that could stand the speed.It might help with heavier bullets but the big reason for heavier bullets is to reduce fps so barrels last longer.Personally I dont think any gain would be offset by liabilities,but I would like to try it. sam.

3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    i dont believe any gains would be worthwhile. its already a hot cartidge, and i foresee gains being minimal.

4. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

I'm looking at rebarreling one of my .264 WM's in a .223, .243, or 6.5mm WSSM. Right now I'm leaning towards the .243, because I think the .223 WSSM is just about as much of a barrel burner as my .264 WM. To me it would not make sense to blow it out any more. If anything, I would like to see the case size reduced more towards the 45 grains (water) size, instead of the current 53 grains.

Ron

5. well I thought it might be interesting and the gun would have to be single shot bolt action and with a 28 inch barrel I would assume with a increase to 40 degree SA I could get 15 - 20 more grains of water since my reloanding book puts the shoulder angle at 28 degrees. it moght be able to push that 50 gr sierra to 4,500 fps

6. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

7. interesting, havn't got my own crono to see how fast mine is going but the fact that all the 223 wssm tests are from a 24 inch and I am shooting 26 inch should help as well so i might get faster.... cool that should turn whistle pigs inside out... and deer too

8. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

Gosh i need to reload, i only shoot factory in mine but i still love it...now that i found cheap ammo i love it that much more (in fact i was starting to not like it after the last box ran me about 30 bucks but now i am in love again lol)

not to sound dumb but what is a whistle pig lol

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  9. ground hogs, when they get pissed they whistle really loud what kind of 223 WSSM do you have (model rifle) what kinds of groups do you get

10. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

i have a winchester model 70 featherweight and i shoot around .5 moa with factory 55 gr soft points.

Hmm i have seen em mad but never heard them whistle lol

11. have you ever tanned there *** with #4 bird shot from a 20 ga about 30 yards away!!!!!!!!! They whistle like no tomorrow funny as hell

12. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

Lol no i have not....i have shot them with a 22 and they try to run and hide sometimes but never heard the whistle....too funny lol. usually when they run though they catch another little slug and it stops em cold.

13. well I caught him going in the hole no time for a second shot

14. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

well that explains....i need to get one with the 223 wssm i have yet to do so. I really haven't done much beside punch paper and miss one groundhog with it. It is gonna lose its virginity this summer though no matter what

15. there is nothin sweeter than that... I shot a lot of paper with it then did the same with the whistle pigs there count is 12 and 3 deer, the pigs just go boom and the deer just fall down and the heart/lungs are jelly

16. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

Nice i was wondering about this round for deer, i read an article about it in some hunting magazing, forget which, and it performed very well. Unfortunately i can't hunt deer with it in OH but i hope to go to OK next fall and give it a shot....

17. steer away from a shouder shot the bullet will blow up on the socket stay low and wait for the leg to move forward then you are in the green dead deer, or you could shoot them in the neck... that deer will die too...

18. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

19. yes it does have a chrome lined barrel and I have another barrel waiting when this one burns out

20. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

I would expect you will gain 50-75 fps with the extra 2". The other option is moly coated bullets. They are said to give you more velocity with the same pressure (i.e. you can load them heavier). But, then there is the issue of moly buildup in the barrel to deal with.

Ron