close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by cooker300, Apr 3, 2018.

1. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist

NW PA
    Question for the 223 reloaded

When doing mass amounts of this caliber is hornady one shot lube the easiest way to go, vs the lube pads?

2. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Evangelist

Missouri
    I detest One Shot, only stuck cases I ever had was when I was using it. I use the home-brew ISO/lanolin mix, haven't stuck one in many years.

bullet maker and jwrauch like this.

3. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    I think so, yes. But I've always preferred One Shot to the lube pad.

My method is to lay them down in two rows with the necks facing me. I spray both rows with one shot. Wait a minute and then work my way through the first row. I then slide the second row forward, replace the second row with new brass, and spray the new brass. Every time I use the first row up, I slide the already sprayed rear row forward and replace it with a new row, spraying it with One Shot. This method ensures I always have brass that has been sprayed and had time to dry, minimizing waiting time.

jwrauch likes this.
  4. CopperniX

CopperniX Forum Fanatic Staff Member

I use hornady one shot and have never had an issue granted I liberally coat the cases.

jwrauch and Dutch like this.
  5. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I have one of those plastic boxes that a cleaning kit came in. I put my brass in it with all the cases laying flat and one or two cases deep. then I squirt them with a spray lube, (currently using One Shot) close the box and shake it for a few seconds. then I dump the brass in a container and repeat the process until I have all the brass I plan on loading lubed. then I start re-loading them.

rando, jwrauch and Dutch like this.
  6. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I use one shot but I really spray it liberally !!

blaster likes this.
  7. Ron The Legend

Ron The Legend G&G Evangelist

You could buy a carbide die and not worry about lube.

blaster and Dutch like this.
  8. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

I was given a bottle of Lyman Case Lube by a long time reloading friend, put a couple of drops on a small square of paper towel then touch my finger to it, and sparingly rub the cases. Never had a stuck case except when I used a lanolin spray. Learned that sometimes the old ways are tried and true.

Pilgrim Still likes this.
  9. I am still happily using a case lube pad and Imperial sizing die wax. Forty-three years reloading and never yet stuck a case.

Wicked109 and rando like this.
  10. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

I use a mix of lanolin and castor oil.
    I put a hundred cases in a big ol freezer bag i wrapped with clear tape.
    then add a piece of the lube about the size of a Q-tip and mash everything together for a minute.
    it's good enough to jam a bullet in a 500$ swage die I think it can handle resizing a case.

rando likes this.
  11. This is from memory, so it may be a little off. Ed Harris wrote a thread on this roughly ten years ago. What he does is dilute Lee case lube with water. Alcohol or mineral spirits work too. It will also work with RCBS Case Lube 2. They're both rebranded, water soluble, wire pulling lube. Anyway, you should experiment a little with how much water(or alcohol) to add. Just add a little, until it is diluted to your liking, and add it to a spray bottle. Anyway, dump the brass in a tub. Spray(I think, he may dip his in a tub of lube with a frenchfry basket) it with the lube, and roll it around so it's evenly coated. Dump it on some newspaper (window screen stretched over a box works too) and let it dry over night. He does several thousand at a time. I hope this was useful.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

I found one thread with instructions, but it isn't the original.

"Lee case lube diluted 10/1 water/lube. It took a couple or three tubes diluted to fill a fifty caliber ammo box. I found a nice french fry basket that fit perfectly"Dale53

https://castbulletassoc.org/forum/t...#comment-047b19bc-7dc6-4753-8ce5-da3da3c551a6

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  12. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist

NW PA
    I normally use RCBS lube and pad for all rifle brass, but looking at doing 200-300. 223rem and was looking at a faster way

13. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    I've loaded several thousand rounds of 223/5.56 and have never had a single stuck case using Hornady One Shot.

Ron The Legend likes this.
  14. Ron The Legend

Ron The Legend G&G Evangelist

That's what I've been using for years now. Used to use RCBS lube and pads but would always get too much lube on the neck and get wrinkles in my necks of the brass. Too easy to spray one shot and even get lube in the inside of the necks. Just my choice.

Kmcdowell likes this.
  15. ninwnc

ninwnc G&G Evangelist

I used the RCBS lube pad till I saw one shot. Seemed like a lot of trouble. Then I tried the one shot and have used it ever since. I can do a couple of hundred cases in a couple of minutes. It's great when you have 1,000 + to do.

blaster likes this.
  16. My personal favorite method for lubing a hundred or two cases at a time is to smear a little Bag Balm inside a big Ziploc bag, toss the brass in it, then spritz it with cooking spray. All you have to do is roll the brass around in the bag, and dump it in a bowl, and you're ready to go.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

swedesrus likes this.
  17. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I've used the RCBS Pad and lube for many years. I like to lube a few hundred at a time so when I get on the progressive press I have enough for my time at the bench. I started putting 100 cases in a bag so I know when it's time to add more primers to the press. I have an alarm on the press but it's just another way of knowing where i'm at.

Wicked109 likes this.