Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 22lr pistol a feasible hunting firearm? I've heard many people say you must have one as part of your Bugout collection for the purpose of acquiring small game, but what is your opinion (I know mine)?

I have a Walther with the target barrel, and I can't stop bragging about how well this shoots. I can hit D sized battery targets from 20 yards pretty regularly. Now, lets stretch that out to 40 yards with a squirrel sized target??? I'm not so confident anymore. AND....on top of my doubts, if I'm in a bugout/bug-in, living off the land situation, I don't think I want to be missing too many opportunities.

So whadya say???

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
One of my favorite cartridges to shoot! Many years ago when I was in school in Colorado me and my room-mate used to shoot prairie dogs almost every weekend. We'd bring the usual bolt action centerfire varmint rifles in various calibers but we both used to bring our .22Lr bolt action rifles, mine was a Ruger 77/22 the roomy had a Kimber. I started to bring my Ruger Mark II with the 5-1/2" heavy barrel and a Burris LER pistol scope and I found it a lot of fun to shoot. Yes, shooting at distance is a challenge but practice, practice...Prairie dogs are a small target bigger than a squirrel but smaller than a
racoon. I found that once the pistol was sighted for a given range learning to hold over or under comes with doing it. What model Walter are you shooting? Some of those Walthers are tack drivers...The .22Lr in a pistol/revolver is a necessity in a unknown future scenario, jmho.

·
Global Warming Enthusiast
4,283 Posts
Hunting what? Varmints, rabbits and such, sure why not?

Christopher McCandless killed a moose with a .22 rifle, but he was a moron of the brightest magnitude so I wouldn't use him as an example of anything but how to be a bum and die in the woods.

·
4,283 Posts
I would think that a .22 rifle would be better n a survival situation than a .22 pistol. the rifle is more accurate at a longer range saving a lot on ammo and quieter if you are in a stealth situation.
Pretty much my take on it was well. Of course any gun is better than no gun... But a .22 handgun isn't making the cut for me in any situation requiring actual survival if given a choice.

·
4,283 Posts
I was strictly referring to small game..squirrel, rabbit, birds and such. Possibly a little self defense as well.

View attachment 175902
Certainly adds a level of convenience for the target of opportunity kind of hunt while you hike... I always did that kind of thing as a kid in the woods of Washington with a 22 rifle of course, I didn't have any access to a handgun as a kid. My only concern with something like that Animalspooker is the bear thing I suppose. Even if I walked the woods with a .22 rifle I'd probably carry a centerfire pistol, not so much for people defense because I think a .22 would suffice pretty well for that most of the time, but four-legged critters.

·
Registered
572 Posts
IMOA the .22 is as good a caliber as anything else out there. I pack a Ruger single six .22 LR or the .22 WMR when out camping during squirrel season. It'll take the odd squirrel or rabbit if needed. I'm also confident it can be used for self-defense effectively as well. I practice shooting out to 50 yds. supported aiming for head shots on animal sized targets using solid lead for .22 LR and jacketed for .22 WMR. I've never shot any small game animal further than 20 yards when hunting with my .22 because they'll allow you to get close most of the time for the shot.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
For hunting I would go for a .22lr rifle.

In a survival situation a .22 lr handgun makes sense. A revolver, such as a Ruger Single-Six, can handle anything from shorts to hyper velocity and is quite accurate.

Semi-autos can sometimes be very picky with anything other than standard velocity.

Survival also means you don't have a refrigerator so meal-sized animals means no wasted meat.

.22lr also allows you to carry more ammo than any centerfire round and is quieter so you can keep the noise down.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I was strictly referring to small game..squirrel, rabbit, birds and such. Possibly a little self defense as well.

View attachment 175902
I have one like that suppressed. Lots of snakes and critters have been ended with it. A supresser js critical. In that gun they are Hollywood Quiet. A person 30-40 yards away has no clue you fired if there is trees, brush or wind. Perfect for rabbit, squirrel, poaching chickens... Pound for pound the best thing you can put in a bug out bag. 500 rounds if ammo kills a lot if chickens and pigeons. I have heard you can even shoot fish or ducks in a city pond with them.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Heya Spooker 😃 , in a shtf situation and/or survival situation a lot of things go out the window like stupid rules especially those just itching to be broken. When in doubt why not brace it, ie: think sbr and increase the range of your Rimfire handguns?. Remember that Clint Eastwood Lee Van Cleef flick for a few dollars more?. It was Fistful of Dollars part 2. Remember the scene where there going after the crazy dude with a price on his head at the whorehouse and when they get there he comes out and then starts running down the street away from them. Lee Van Cleef turns around and pulls a couple Ties on his saddle blanket roll and grabs a rather ingenious buttstock and in 2.5 quick connects it to the bird's eye handle of his revolver and voila, instant SBR and drops the crazy dude from about 55 yards away in 1 shot. I'm thinking about something like this to make things more functional and realistic resulting in fewer missed shots and more food 😃 ...

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
IMOA the .22 is as good a caliber as anything else out there. I pack a Ruger single six .22 LR or the .22 WMR when out camping during squirrel season. It'll take the odd squirrel or rabbit if needed. I'm also confident it can be used for self-defense effectively as well. I practice shooting out to 50 yds. supported aiming for head shots on animal sized targets using solid lead for .22 LR and jacketed for .22 WMR. I've never shot any small game animal further than 20 yards when hunting with my .22 because they'll allow you to get close most of the time for the shot.
The Single Six with the Mag cylinder in it is flat, about 34 ounces, and with the 5.5 inch or longer barrel has most of the power of a 22 rifle. The extra power of the mag is efficient and you can carry a lot of ammo. Not my first choice but sure a good choice. The older I get the more I like the 22 mag and I have all the common calibers.

A senior Native American to which wildlife laws did not apply, told me that the 22 mag rifle was the best deer caliber ever created. I cringed. He said in 70 years he had never lost one. He claimed there was never blood shot or wasted meat or bone and a single round to the neck was one and done. Dunno, but they sure put down hogs on a military base I hunted that was restricted to rimfire....

Those Savage and Rossi semi-autos might be good choice. Not much to look at but get good reviews. Sure wish Ruger would bring back that 10/22 mag.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood
Rossi $282.00

Air gun Gun barrel Font Gun accessory Trigger

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is the 22lr pistol a feasible hunting firearm? I've heard many people say you must have one as part of your Bugout collection for the purpose of acquiring small game, but what is your opinion (I know mine)?

I have a Walther with the target barrel, and I can't stop bragging about how well this shoots. I can hit D sized battery targets from 20 yards pretty regularly. Now, lets stretch that out to 40 yards with a squirrel sized target??? I'm not so confident anymore. AND....on top of my doubts, if I'm in a bugout/bug-in, living off the land situation, I don't think I want to be missing too many opportunities.

So whadya say???
Keep practicing. You don't want to lose a meal to the guy who CAN make that 40 yard shot.

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Just a reminder, If you can hit somebody often enough with a 22 you will either kill them or disable them enough that their friends? will have to take care of them. 22 hollowpoints to the knees or face could really make a mess of somebody. Catch them in the eyeball and things really go bad for them.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I nice Ruger MK II, III, or IV would be a great little hunting pistol in a pinch, as they are quite accurate. plus with the longer 4-5-6" barreled versions they have a pretty decent sight radius, and good sights help too. you could brace it up against a tree branch or something and make pretty accurate hits on game out to 50 or so yards.

now my S&W mp compact .22, not so much, it will hit man sized steel pretty easy, but squirrels.. good luck!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Just a reminder, If you can hit somebody often enough with a 22 you will either kill them or disable them enough that their friends? will have to take care of them. 22 hollowpoints to the knees or face could really make a mess of somebody. Catch them in the eyeball and things really go bad for them.
Some of you remember the RG Rhom Saturday Night Specials of the 60s. My first homicide investigation was where a fellow was shot one time to the side of his face, the 22 bullet striking and destroying is heavy eyeglasses. From there the bullet entered the skull. The ME estimated he died within 10 seconds. I have been reluctant to get shot with a 22 since that time.

30-40 years later a buddy and I set out to chronograph the handguns that we own including many that fired 22 short, 22 or. 22 mag, 25 acp, 32 acp, 38 special and so on, I know them all now. We wanted to know exactly how much power our guns and loads actually had. I can tell you that the RG 22 or NAA or any of those only get about 850 fps with a 40 grain bullet. A short may be as slow as 650 in a four inch revolver with it's 29 grain bullet. A high speed 22 short may go 150 fps faster. The high speed shorts are very effective at dispatching animals in traps. And they can kill you within 10 seconds. Just the science. Not a good plan to get shot with a 22.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Not a good plan to get shot with a 22.
Yup. I always chuckle when some yayhoo says "Yeah, a .22 won't really do anything!" OK, wanna' volunteer to get shot with one, or two, or three??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts