.22LR vs .22 Mag

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by mitch009, Apr 30, 2008.

1. mitch009

mitch009 G&G Newbie

OR
    I was wondering which round tends to be more accurate?

2. .22 mag at long distances would defeintly be more accurate. But at short range I dont't think they'll be a lot of difference. (less than 30 yards)

3. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

If you are target shooting, I would suggest the .22LR would be the far superior cartridge. This is not really because of the basic cartridge, but more that there are no target quality loads for the .22 Mag that I am aware of.

Ron

4. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

I like both. My 22 mag shoots great at 100 yds, my 22lr shoots great out to 50 yds. Depends what kind of range you want i would say.

I do not use target loads in either, not sure if there are any for 22 mag, but i have found ammo for both that shoots very well.

5. mitch009

mitch009 G&G Newbie

OR
    yea I know the .22lr is a lot cheaper but I was looking for some longer range 100-130 yards so I was trying to decide if the .22mag would be worth it

6. The .22 LR is shot past 75 yards. (No pun intended) If you want that kind of range go with .22 mag. But if you want real accuracy go with .17 HMR

7. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

8. mitch009

mitch009 G&G Newbie

OR
    If you could tell me a little more about the .17 hmr that would be great. such as range, accuracy, power...?

9. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

17 hmr is just a necked down 22wmr case, so it is a little better ballistics wise. It is supposed to be good out to at least 150. Also it is supposed to be extremely accurate. I do not own one but i sure would like to soon. 22 mag and 17 hmr ammo is about the same price too. There are 30 gr. v max for the 22 mag that have similar ballistics to the 17, but still not quite there. I belive the 17 is about 300 fps faster, and shoots flatter. correct me if I am wrong.

10. I don't know anything about the .17, but youtube has some videos of people shooting fruit and full soda cans with it and they explode like they were hit by A-bombs.

Look at the coke can literally vaporize: (Looks like he rigged the deck by shooting an empty can with the .22, but the .17 is still awesome)

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=FGMvjhyuTr0[/ame]

The .17 on rabbits, looks much more humane than a .22:

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=NAJacT0_R3c[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  11. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

12. DKA1

DKA1 G&G Newbie

We shot 22 Rifle Matches for years and used most of the different brands of bullets. Found several 22lr that did very good, most of the time we shot CCI Green Tag, but 22 Mag, we looked and looked, ordered bullets from foreign countries and when the dust settled Winchester 40gr Hollow Point were the most accurate and consistant 22mag load the we could find. I still shoot Winchester 40gr 22 Mags and will until a better one comes along. As far as comparing a 22 Mag with a .17, there is no comparison, the 17 does not have enough bullet weight to be an effective varmint gun, but 22 Mag will do well up to 150 yds.

13. wily1

wily1 G&G Addict Forum Contributor

I have both the .22 lr and .22 mag and they both have their uses. 22 mag ammo is a lot more expensive than .22 lr but I like it as an all around small round. To me it is a compromise between my .22 lr and my .223. Even at $10 -$12 for a box of 50 it is still cheap enough to plink with but gives me accuaracy and power out to +100 yds. So if I want to take a shot at squirrel, crow, or something bigger I'm prepared.

14. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I agree with this,including the Winchester ammo. sam.

15. mitch009

mitch009 G&G Newbie

OR
    thanks everyone for the information. I just ordered the .22lr cz452 mannlicher, I went with the .22lr because this is just going to be for target practice and plinking (hopefully eventually 100 yards) Now I need to pick out some rings for it, any suggestions?

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  16. I wouldn't go to 100 yards with a .22 LR. It just has to much drop.

17. Dandy Dan

Dandy Dan G&G Newbie

I shoot my 22lr quite often and take woodchucks at 100yds with no problem, hitem in the head. Of course I practice a lot. I have found CCI subsonics and just about any Federal high velocity work well in my rifles.