239 in .357 Sig

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, May 4, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I've heard some complaints about the 239 concerning recoil. I like the .357 Sig caliber concept .40 necked down to 9mm. 125 grains at 1425 feet per second. Just like my 4 inch barrel on my Smith 686+

2. Jesse

Jesse Tradehawker LLC / www.tradehawker.com / Jn 17:17 Forum Contributor

This caliber is serious business in the Sig 239. The advantage of switching barrels to use the cheaper .40S&W ammo makes sense to me. There are buffers on the market as well as recoil reducers for the Sig 239. The HARTTS reducer adds weight, like a tungsten guiderod in a 1911. It contains liquid mercury and steel ball bearings inside a steel guiderod. The trick is to add the HARTTS modification as well as a heavier recoil spring. Brownell's part # 397-100-239... the spring can be bought from Wolff.

Jesse

3. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Liquid mercury and ballbearings? Wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper to fill it with lead? I do not think that a drop of mercury sloshing around in the rod would significantly affect the recoil.

4. Jesse

It apparently does significantly reduce recoil and is more reliable than any buffer system in such a small pistol. I agree that a lead filled or tungsten guiderod would do just as well,(and probably be a lot cheaper), but the HARTTS system is the only one I've been able to find to this point.

Jesse

5. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I think lead will float in mercury...for whatever thats worth

6. Jesse

I fired a Sig 239 in .357 Sig this weekend. I shot Winchester white box 125gr. JHP. INSANELY ACCURATE! Recoil was not bad at all, to me it was like shooting the 9mm version of the Sig 239 with +p ammo. The Sig 239 is as fine a carry pistol that one can buy! No need for HARTTS reducers or any accessories, this pistol is ready to go right out of the box.